Windows makes '10' for a bad experience?

XpertNoobhacker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically I've spent the week reviving my dead lenovo thinkcentre M82. Had a mobo power failure as nothing would happen on pressing the button.

So I changed the motherboard in it as I don't really have the cash for a new pc. Anyway after fitting the board all went well but I was planned with 'activate windows' watermark all of a sudden.

I spent about half hour on the phone to Microsoft whos advice was buy another win 10 licence. To which my response is they must be mad it's a 8 year old machine and it's had win 10 pro all its life.
So after telling them to do one my system that same night asks to reboot to update and then BAM I have windows again without any effort.

So the question I pose is do Microsoft not care and just bully people now into re-buying stuff over? Are they in the right

Also if anyone can tell me how stable and reliable Zorin Os is from experience I'd love to hear it as I'd considered that scince Microsoft robbery policy

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can buy a 3rd party license It is recommended. they are like 10-15$.
Also If you like linux, windows 10 has compatibility layer which is very cool.
I have never used Linux but windows is a lot better than it used to be sure worth that much money....

britt4x4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can actually buy keys pretty cheap on some websites. Allkeysshop is a good comparison website.

XpertNoobhacker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys wasn't expecting the quick responses :)

I've never used Linux so I was a bit hesitant although I'm not a complete noob and can use a command prompt but didn't know how the 'crashes' were I've heard of on Linux and was a bit worried but I've heard you can run most exes in zorin

Also no I don't have the key I belive it was a oem key as it was a proprietary lenovo M82 also it's resolved now the hardware decided to recognise after another day the question remains how long for lol..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Was it an OEM or Retail key?

Have you ever known a system like that to come with a retail key or a refurb outfit to not use OEM?

But yeah to got a bit further for the OP there are two kinds of windows keys as far as most around here that are not IT pros are concerned (volume keys are a different matter, though I suppose technically they have been useful for getting dodgy copies).
OEM stuff is usually sold at a lower rate but lives and dies with a given computer, the motherboard being the heart of it so when that goes then for the most part so does the key. Most big manufacturers will use this.
Retail is stuff you can shuffle around but will typically go for a bit more up front.

As far as Zorin OS. It is a reasonably time tested linux distro that somewhat does its own thing (others playing along it is mostly in the debian-ubuntu family for package management, and GNOME-XFCE). I don't know if I would suggest it if you are going to jump into Linux -- the idea of a gentle ease in is fine but there is something to be said for maybe getting slightly out of your comfort zone, and it is not like you can't install all the same programs on a more mainstream version. Basically if you approach Linux expecting it to be like Windows you are not going to have a great time, if you approach it expecting it to act like Linux and use it like it then it tends to go far better.

Reactions: E1ite007

XpertNoobhacker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I am aware you can buy keys for like a fiver but they are illegitimate so Iver heard /ethical gray area

My main thing I wanted to get out was Ms wanting to make me rebuy my Os after 8 years. I thought that was shitty as nothing really changed its the same M82 and surely this mobo would have came with a licence too.
Just didn't seem very fair

Its somthing I've been looking at for a while I would like to test perhaps a few distros
Eg mint,Ubuntu but I've literally never strayed from Windows and didn't know how steep the learning by curve was for a medium advanced user(maybe) lol

Really I'd more thought at this point also Microsoft would be fighting to keep people on they're spyware that's win 10 tbh as other Os's seem to be going more mainstream

Last edited by XpertNoobhacker,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you ever known a system like that to come with a retail key or a refurb outfit to not use OEM?

OP didn’t specify so I thought it was best to ask in case they knew.

Apparently the 'free upgrade' is still going on, double check but it's possible that this could be a route to cheap upgrade while being at least semi-legit by buying an older version of windows e.g. W8.1. If you still want windows.

XpertNoobhacker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry should have prob stated clearly it was a factory licence that cane on the machine fast was correct obviously my issue seems to have resolved itself I'm assuming as the board did have a licence and this was what had me confused.

I get you cant reuse a licence and it's stuck with the board but I thought that even with all the same hardware they wanted me to pay again was cruddy atall after 8 year old system If I had £180 to spare I'd get a newer machine.

Also as stated surely the new board at some point should have had the same licence as it came from lenovo M82 also.
I'm thinking that's what happened in the end as now I had a update and my issue is gone but that's MS customer support for you aboit as friendly as a bad rash.

Ps thanks all for your helpful ways to possibly get it back though mine worked after time on its own
hopefully this will help someone who's problem is more persistent and also make people wait a few days before getting a copy as if I'd have followed the sales rep advice I'd be £180 poorer right now for no reason.

Last edited by XpertNoobhacker,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
So basically I've spent the week reviving my dead lenovo thinkcentre M82. Had a mobo power failure as nothing would happen on pressing the button.

So I changed the motherboard in it as I don't really have the cash for a new pc. Anyway after fitting the board all went well but I was planned with 'activate windows' watermark all of a sudden.

I spent about half hour on the phone to Microsoft whos advice was buy another win 10 licence. To which my response is they must be mad it's a 8 year old machine and it's had win 10 pro all its life.
So after telling them to do one my system that same night asks to reboot to update and then BAM I have windows again without any effort.

So the question I pose is do Microsoft not care and just bully people now into re-buying stuff over? Are they in the right

Also if anyone can tell me how stable and reliable Zorin Os is from experience I'd love to hear it as I'd considered that scince Microsoft robbery policy

You got it all wrong.
  1. Microsoft activation key is stored in the EFI flash as part of the boot system. If you change the mobo, the activation key goes out with it.
  2. Microsoft tech support is useless unless you talk to the actual developing team of that system and with you being a customer that´s not going to happen. You should have never called.
  3. Automatic online activation happens when a system with the same hardware fingerprint™ connects for enough time to the internet and reboots. I cannot disclosure what is part of that fingerprint but let's keep it in the new hardware was close enough to the old one and Windows Update had enough geolocalisation data to reinstall your old licence back to the new EFI Flash.
For all that Microsoft represents, you´re welcome. And of course they are going to scam you licenses if they can.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

XpertNoobhacker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow that's deep man haha

Yeah well that's essentially what I was saying but I couldn't understand how it activated at first for one day then deactivated with a error code that I don't remember now and then after a update it's decided it okay again..

Also as you stated a licence that came with the hardware is store in efi flash but I'd have thought that would have stayed on the new board (lenovo M82)aswell as my old board with old licence. so essentially two boards with two licences and couldn't figure out why it was not activating
I get the code could have been different as ther are per board but given its the same board it shouldve had its own licence I would have thought.

Although what I had not considered is maybe the M82 it came out of had different spec as they retailed with many different specs so maybe it though I was trying to completely change all the hardware rather than just a mobo swap as my activation code would have obviously changed with the board

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Just fyi - built a new system recently and went for the cheapest Win10 professional key (OEM) on ebay this time, which went for 10 USD. Auto delivery, within seconds after payment, instructions that told you not to activate during install, but later - once the OS is set up (activation during install failed with that key, but in the OS it went through - maybe thats because of group licenses being abused, idk).

Activation went through - also key was not region locked.

Now, considering everything I've read in the recent past, MS shouldnt be revoking activation keys - and thats about it.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-