Windows Live Tiles - Subdomain Takeover

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by KleinesSinchen, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:10 PM.

1. KleinesSinchen
    OP

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Today I stumbled upon this article:

https://www.golem.de/news/subdomain...s-control-over-windows-tiles-1904-140717.html

Looks a bit like clickbait to me. I can't judge if this is actually a (security) problem. But something tells me such a thing should not happen (not that "Live Tiles" showing ads have been a smart idea in the first place).

Any opinions on that? Could some Windows users enlighten me if this is a severe problem?

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    In terms of actual security, it could become a problem if any exploits exists.

There are of course other potential issues such as adware, scareware, etc.

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  3. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Hello.:)

Microsoft has a simple and easy solution:

silence

And simply remove their Browser EDGE with the next Update.:angry:
    (thats their real "issue").

I don´t know if this is the solution: You can TURN OFF this crap with the Tiles.

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  4. KleinesSinchen
    OP

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    You did this. I did this on my Windows computer. Most likely many GBAtemp members did this. But I don't think not tech-savvy people bother with turning off things like this. And the telemetry garbage and Cortanta and… what did I miss this time??
    Security hole or not (probably sandboxed, not privileged, no arbitrary code execution -- whatever): Just the idea somebody can push random text messages to Windows computers baffles me.

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Sadly most of the not tech-savvy people has not an interest in such things or simply don´t know about security and such things.:(
    They are simple "users".Power on their PCs/Laptops after work or in their sparetime etc.,checking Mails and doing Internet (and surley no IT security relevant sites) or play a little game.
    And suddenly maybe wondering,when their Tiles doing some strange things.
    Then they call up their "IT Friends" and they tell them "Hey you have a security problem.Don´t you know that ?":blink::wacko: