Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Staff edit. Full quotes are not really the thing to do. Some rewriting examples
Citing the licensing fees (one has to pay the MPEGLA and others to use the technologies in DVDs if you are selling it*) and increasing obsolescence of the format (up to and including the rise of tablets, netbooks and other laptop like devices without onboard DVD drives) Microsoft has said they will not be including DVD support with standard versions of the upcoming Windows 8 (naturally media center versions will have).
It is but a simple install for any end user (any number of programs have very good DVD parsing ability including popular alternatives Media Player Classic and VLC) and most OEM machines, if they have DVD drives, will tend to include a basic player (usually powerDVD).
Basic media player will still be available (no word on any European editions without it yet) and DVD support, if desired for Windows Media Player, can be purchased from the upgrade options that were formerly known as Windows Anytime Upgrade.

Microsoft is however supporting other, newer formats, including H264, VC-1 (what WMV eventually became), MP4 container and the likes of AAC and WMA audio. Microsoft does sit on several bit video patent boards and has a stake in H264 (it backs it for HTML5 video over WEBm) and it had a big hand in creating VC-1 and WMA.

*this and CSS protection is why many Linux and BSD distributions that have not licensed such things for use will kick DVD and certain codec support to "unofficial" repositories or have distributions that are not supposed to be shipped in areas with software patents.
windows-store1_2077637b.jpg

Users will either have to pay to upgrade to the ‘Media Center’ or download extra, third-party software if they do want to play films.
Microsoft had previously announced that, unlike Windows 7, Windows 8 will not come packaged with the Media Center software as standard.
Windows Media Center available to Windows 8 customers via the Add Features to Windows 8 control panel (formerly known as Windows Anytime Upgrade). This ensures that customers who are interested in Media Center have a convenient way to get it.

:arrow: Source

Fuck you Microsoft, I'm switching to Linux.

Reactions: 5 people

EnigmaBlade

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll still be able to play DVD's using programs such as VLC... right?
>Users will either have to pay to upgrade to the ‘Media Center’ or download extra, third-party software if they do want to play films.

Ah.. sorry about that, can't believe i didn't notice it D:
Still, it's a pretty stupid move by MS. Does anyone even think it's worth going to windows 8? it seems kind of a waste to me..

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll still be able to play DVD's using programs such as VLC... right?
>Users will either have to pay to upgrade to the ‘Media Center’ or download extra, third-party software if they do want to play films.
Which is why anybody with sense will be doing anyway, the only microsoft software actually worth using is their operating system.
Everything else, is all provided much better, and often free by other companies. You name it, somebody's one-upped Microsoft.

HOWEVER, removing DVD support from the base operating system is idiotic. For office and education environments where the user will not have freedom to install software, this will hinder non-privileged users.

Imagine if Apple started charging you money for iTunes itself, this is what Microsoft is trying to do with Windows Media Player.

Reactions: 7 people

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't matter. I hardly used it. I have my own dvd player in my 3 years old PC and PS3 bluray.. however, I almost never used them. I am using mostly avi files with gom player and MPC. No big deal.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow Microsoft, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.
Microsoft have always done this. Try do a standard install and play a video file in Windows Media Player, it'll ask you to buy codecs.

And tell me when was the last time you used Windows Media Center and not third party software?
You're right, I always use VLC player. However, casual computer users seem to always use Windows Media Player/Center. It seems regular people are going to be screwed when Windows 8 comes out...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say at least 90% of users won't even notice. Most manufacturers will ship some other DVD playing software with computers already (e.g. PowerDVD or whatever), and provided that practice continues (and in light of this news, it will probably become even more abundant if anything), users won't even realise Windows itself doesn't support DVDs. Any tech savvy user will also be able to download any number of DVD playing pieces of software such as VLC or probably even some software to add DVD support to Windows Media Player (You already need to add codecs to play the vast majority of content in WMP, what difference does it make if you need to install some stuff to get DVDs working as well?).

In short, it doesn't matter. It should hopefully make Windows 8 a tiny bit cheaper than it otherwise would be, and that is unmistakeably good.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c