Windows 8 Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by philip11, Sep 18, 2012.

1. philip11
    OP

philip11 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2011
    United States
    United States
    Hello, I was trying to install Windows Xp on a computer and It didn't work I kept running into problems so I gave up the fight and installed the Windows 8 Release Preview and I decided I liked Windows 8 and wanted to buy the full version when it comes out and I read about this upgrade deal and such and I read if you had the Release Preview installed and you upgraded from XP Vista or 7 then you could upgrade for $40 but I was wondering if I could upgrade by putting in the Xp CoA when I buy the upgrade.

So basically can I use a Windows Xp Pro CoA to upgrade to Windows 8 without Installing Xp and upgrading to 8?

2. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Assuming the XP copy was legit I would guess it would work....I thought the deal was only with Windows 7/Vista users but then again I never read up on any of the deals

3. philip11
    OP

philip11 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2011
    United States
    United States
    But I haven't installed XP I just have the CoA.

4. Clarky

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    I am having a brain fart moment..what is the COA?

5. philip11
    OP

philip11 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2011
    United States
    United States
    CoA is Certificate of Authenticity it's the Code you put in when you install Windows.

6. Clarky

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    ah with ya, I'm under the impression you had to have whichever version of windows installed and then you would basically be given a digital copy of the upgrade disc. still never hurts to check