Windows 8 Preview Launching Today!

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
When this gets out I'll try it in a VM on my lappy.

Personally I'm not looking forward to this. MS are trying to get rid of the desktop and replace it with a tablet interface. I'm sorry, but for laptops and desktops the standard desktop environment is the best. The tablet interface is a great idea but it shouldn't be the default for the OS. I applaud the idea of one operating system running on portables and desktops though. They had a tablet in their keynote today which was runnign Windows 8 under ARM which are knwon for low power processing. Once this hits we could have Windows rivals to the iPad which are a lot more versatile in their usage.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ace Faith said:
A note of concern to pirates: They've upgraded the licensing software for Windows 8, so it's apparently going to get MUCH harder to pirate and crack W8. I'll applaud the ones who can do this succesfully, though
biggrin.gif
Sad
frown.gif

Also I'm really skeptical of how gaming will work on Windows 8. Hopefully the new lay-out and many changes don't break compatibility too much.

D

Deleted User

So, is this entirely Metro Design Language-inspired, or is it feasible for use on regular computers too?
(Yup. I know nothing.)

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
tigris said:
So, is this entirely Metro Design Language-inspired, or is it feasible for use on regular computers too?
(Yup. I know nothing.)
Basically this is a full Windows operating system with a really good tablet interface frontend. Its running a full WIndows kernel that's capable of working on x86 or ARM processors. This is usable on all computers. It does have a regular Desktop mode for running non-Metro applications but it seems like they're trying to get rid of that. I don't like this, I like having multiple windows not multiple apps I have to switch between in full screen. THen again they're trying to showcase the NEW features so maybe the old system will still be supported by devs etc. for simpletons like me who want things to stay as they are.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I'm curious if this is going to be the next XP/Windows 7 or the next Vista?

Only time will tell, I guess...

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I plan to install it. Windows 8 looks nice.

But not installing on my Mac. Probably on my old laptop. Which currently has no OS on it.

I bet none of you expected something like that from me.
nyanya.gif

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First Ubuntu forces its half-finished netbook interface as the main desktop for all versions, and now Microsoft's trying to cover up the line between tablets and PCs. Meanwhile, I'm sure Apple is hard at work on merging OSX and iOS, and pretty soon all Pro model Macs will ship with integrated touchscreens, while I sit back and enjoy one of the few remaining modern operating systems that has an actual fucking desktop environment.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FireEmblemGuy said:
First Ubuntu forces its half-finished netbook interface as the main desktop for all versions, and now Microsoft's trying to cover up the line between tablets and PCs. Meanwhile, I'm sure Apple is hard at work on merging OSX and iOS, and pretty soon all Pro model Macs will ship with integrated touchscreens, while I sit back and enjoy one of the few remaining modern operating systems that has an actual fucking desktop environment.
Windows 8 has both UIs. The Metro-style UI. And the regular Windows desktop. Like Windows 7.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
OP
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
iFish said:
FireEmblemGuy said:
Windows 8 has both UIs. The Metro-style UI. And the regular Windows desktop. Like Windows 7.

And they'd make me and many other very happy if it stays that way.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I'm not gonna test it, it looks terribly ugly.
I'll just check reports out to know if I will some day change from 7 to this.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll applaud Microsoft for actually changing up the typical OS UI after it's been kinda the same-ish for a while. I mean Windows 95 and Windows 7 have almost the same layout, just that Windows 7 looks a lot fancier and, uh, "rounded".

Personally though, I don't think I could really switch to this whole new UI thing.

Side note: I read this on Kotaku and it might be interesting to some:

Confirmed today during Microsoft's 2011 Build developer conference in Anaheim, California, Windows 8 will have the Xbox Live service built right in. What does it all mean?

Aside from further justifying the upcoming fall Xbox 360 dashboard update, the integration of Xbox Live into Windows 8 means more to Microsoft than it does to us end users. By working hooks for the service directly into the next generation PC operating system, MS will no longer have to worry about getting gamers to download Games for Windows Live, a service that never really caught on in the first place.

Xbox Live's Major Nelson says that developers are being shown tools that make it easier to integrate Xbox Live features into PC games during the show, which I'd imagine are the same tools used for Games for Windows Live, only rebranded.

Perhaps I'm being too skeptical. The Major says they there are many more details to share about what Xbox Live on Windows will be capable of. Let's remain hopeful until then. That way we'll have more energy for giggling and pointing.[/p]

prowler_ said:
Might check it out, I know it's suited more for tablets but I think it'll look good on my HDTV.
4-leaf-clover said:
It looks alot like the new Xbox dashboard update that is coming...
but it looks pretty nice.
It's Microsofts new thing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_%28design_language%29

And all I thought was this:

[youtube]_UXtort76gY[/youtube]

D

Deleted_171835

Well, I already checked most of the previous builds in a VM. I'll probably check out this build, too.

prowler_ said:
It's Microsofts new thing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_%28design_language%29The Metro UI is pretty sexy.

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Sep 13 2011, 05:42 PM) I'll applaud Microsoft for actually changing up the typical OS UI after it's been kinda the same-ish for a while. I mean Windows 95 and Windows 7 have almost the same layout, just that Windows 7 looks a lot fancier and, uh, "rounded".

Personally though, I don't think I could really switch to this whole new UI thing.

Side note: I read this on Kotaku and it might be interesting to some:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And if that Xbox Live thing is similar to GFW, it's going to be utter shit.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tagzard said:
angry.gif

I said, is this going to be a free upgrade or is it something else.

I think the question is what Apple has to do with this.

It's a dev preview just so see what Windows 8 will be like. It's still buggy and unfinished and won't be anywhere near as complete as the final product.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tagzard said:
iFish said:
tagzard said:
Don't call me stupid.

I don't understand. Apple is letting us LEGALLY update our laptops to windows 8 or what's happening?
What the fuck are you saying?
angry.gif

I mean, what does this have anything to do with Apple at all?

Also, the dev preview, betas and RC will probably be free(They were for Windows 7), but Microsoft will sell Windows 8. I see no reason for a new OS to be free.

tagzard

Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.
Banned
Trophies
Website
tagzard.tk
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
tagzard said:
angry.gif

I think the question is what Apple has to do with this.

It's a dev preview just so see what Windows 8 will be like. It's still buggy and unfinished and won't be anywhere near as complete as the final product.
So I can run windows 8 on my laptop as a dev tool but my OS will still be vista?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.