Windows 8 or Windows 7?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can live without the start menu as long as there's easy shortcuts to the functions there. My main concern is how much else has changed.

If I can't fire up the machine and start dragging files and folders around and manipulating things on my own, it's really going to cut into my productivity.

I mean when Staples has to advertise on TV that they're giving free Windows 8 training when you buy a Windows 8 device...
As far as the Desktop side of things is concerned, nothing has changed except the start menu - in its exact place you invoke the Metro menu instead and sliding the pointer upwards shows all active windows. Additionally you can dock a Metro App on either side of the screen and adjust its width while you work in the desktop side - both sides are active, so you can for example write a document in Word and then drag it directly into your SkyDrive without even opening a browser. On the right edge you have a set of four buttons which will help you perform quick searches, adjust basic preferences, control connected devices etc. It's a pretty easy-to-navigate setup once you create tiles for the most often used locations, like Computer or My Documents. The taskbar remained where it used to be and follows the same scheme it did in 7.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
As far as the Desktop side of things is concerned, nothing has changed except the start menu - in its exact place you invoke the Metro menu instead and sliding the pointer upwards shows all active windows. Additionally you can dock a Metro App on either side of the screen and adjust its width while you work in the desktop side - both sides are active, so you can for example write a document in Word and then drag it directly into your SkyDrive without even opening a browser. On the right edge you have a set of four buttons which will help you perform quick searches, adjust basic preferences, control connected devices etc. It's a pretty easy-to-navigate setup once you create tiles for the most often used locations, like Computer or My Documents. The taskbar remained where it used to be and follows the same scheme it did in 7.
Figuring out how to get to the damned files and folders in the first place and then figuring out how to make shortcuts to them shows that productivity for people who do this kind of thing normally has been cut.

I fear the Metro interface tossing out the old desktop model is going to cut into people who do shit manually too much.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Transition from XP -> Win 7 was pretty natural.
The only things you had to get used to was:
* Libraries (basically a gathering of folders which you've choosen from somewhere on your storages. they're a quick way to get to the folders you use often)
* Relocation of settings & menues. (If you'd like to view your folders in a specific way, the settings for this are in a different place than in winxp)
* The security annoyances. Standard Win7 is secure and asks you whenever u wanna start exe files if it's truly your wish. You can ofcourse turn this off, but it's safer to keep it on, incase a virii would want to sneak in.

I'm guessing the transition from XP -> Win 8 will be a bit steeper. Some friends keep complaining about the UI, other's don't. It's got faster startup time than Win 7 and is supposedly not as demanding.
I've yet to try it myself. I don't see any reason to upgrade to Win 8 just yet, as Windows 7 has been working VERY good for me and I leave my computer on constantly.

But if I was in your seat, I definatly would want to try Win 8! :)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
XP asks about EXE files as well if they're in certain places (like your desktop).

If you're referring to the UAC/Security prompts, only programs that need admin access ask for that, and that should be limited to installers and updaters... programs that need admin access just to run normally are either administrative tools, or old shit that never got updated to work with microsoft's security standards (the rules Vista/7 go by were set in Windows 2000, Microsoft just didn't enforce them until later when they saw most companies still didn't give two shits about user security).

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so it's possible to restore the classic Windows menu in the consumer review of 8 with a registry hack, or with this toggle tool. The question is, does it also work with the retail release?

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then it's official. I'm keeping my 7 for my new PC that is on its way.

Edit: Yes, I know that there are third party apps that can restore it, but I prefer not to risk it, especially because of the Metro UI.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Honestly I had less problems adapting to Win8 from Win7 than I had going from XP to 7. The settings and everything are still in the same place, the start menu is the only drastic change and even that is not that bad.

Well, my Preview installation was just replaced with Retail, and I'm liking what I'm seeing so-far. I've already optimized the services to what I believe is the bare minimum for what I usually do on the PC, the Polish language pack is installing nicely, I've already assigned my tiles and added a Reboot and Restart tile...
Create two shortcuts on the desktop, name them to your liking, put this as the Path:
SHUTDOWN -r -t 00
SHUTDOWN -s -t 01
First for Rebooting, second for Shutdown. If you want, you can also change the icon to the standard "button" you used to see in Windows 7 and Vista by changing the shortcut properties. Once done, pin it to Start.

SO much quicker than Signing Out and Restarting/Shutting Down from there.
...can't wait to give Retail a thorough testing. I was relatively happy with the Preview, so the "polished" version is near-sure to please me.
Press Alt+F4 when on the desktop with all menus minimized to get a shutdown menu. It's pretty useful.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I do have two questions about that:
1. Why the 1 second wait?
2. Does this shut down the same way it would normally, i.e. log out + hibernate?
The 1-second wait is to enforce closing of applications - you can use 0 seconds, but then you'll also have to use the /f parameter (force).

To hibernate, use -h. :)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Then it's official. I'm keeping my 7 for my new PC that is on its way.

Edit: Yes, I know that there are third party apps that can restore it, but I prefer not to risk it, especially because of the Metro UI.
Don't blame you with not wanting to use third-party replacements.

8's just a minor update to Windows anyways (NT 6.2, opposed to 7's NT 6.1), so chances are 7 will get the same type of important updates and support that 8 will get (akin to vista's rollup package and such).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've had to work with Win8 lately, and I can say that it takes a bit of adapting, but it's a great OS. Certainly not another Vista.

Haven't found any particular driver issues (90% of the stuff working on 7 should work on 8 too) and the system feels snappier and nice.

Well, haters gonna hate.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are several reasons why you should stay with Windows 7.

1. Windows 7 has a nice Start button. Windows 8 doesn't.
2. In Windows 7 it takes you three or four steps (compared to XP) to find something. In Windows 8 it takes you eight steps.
3. Windows 7 features a nice start menu button that Windows 8 doesn't have.
4. If you are not in tablet happy mode you should stick to Windows 7.
5. Among a myriad of countless useful features Windows 7 boasts an extremely useful start menu button which is missing in 8.
6. Windows 7 is less confusing then Windows 8.
7. Windows 8 is also known as XBOX version which loses its credibility as an OS.
8. Among other features which are too many to list here you'll find that Windows 7 has a starting point also know as a Start Button which is missing on 8. The Start button allows you to find things in three steps on Windows 7.
9. If you go from XP to 8 you'll feel like Alice in Wonderland. Go easy, start with 7 first.
10. And last but not least, Windows 7 has a start menu button. It's a small thing but i thought it's worth mentioning since it's kind of overlooked.

Hope this helps.

I really have to ask what the hell you are on, because I want some of it.

1, 3, 5, 8, 10: Jesus christ, man, are you repetitive. 5 out of ten points all about the exact same thing? I'm glad you don't do reviews for anything... Now, onto my response, this is purely superficial. Every single keyboard has a button you can tap, the "Windows" button, might be new to you. Look for it, it's very close to the spacebar, right next to the alt keys~ That brings up the Start Screen, which arguably does the very same job that the Start Menu did, only infinitely better. Don't have to read tiny print anymore, scroll through myriads of folders, and it's even easy to organize, unlike the previous Start Menus. Now, there's not a damn thing that the Start Menu can do that the Screen can't do just as well. Want to search your computer? Just start typing for that program. No search bar even needed, because it'll come up on it's own. I want to say more, but as you've made a shitty list, I'm going to leave it at that.

2: Uh huh. Right. Let's see here.
1: Click in lower left corner(OH MY GOD, IT'S STILL IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT AS THE START BUTTON, I NEVER KNEW. WHAT MAGIC IS THIS? /s) OR tap one of the two Windows keys that is on 99.9% of every keyboard currently manufactured.
2a: Scroll through the icons you have and find your program, if you installed it like normal.
2b: Start typing the name of the program you want. Chances are, Windows 8 will find them. And then once it finds it, tap the enter key. So hard, I know, but don't worry, you'll get used to it.
3: If you didn't install it the normal way that almost everyone will, then go find that program, and right click it, add to Start. And then anytime you want do find that, hit the start button(on the keyboard, I mean) or do a very easy and fast swipe of the mouse down to the lower left corner, and start typing it. My only thing I will admit about this is that you can't rename the shortcuts. Would be helpful, but I've proven you wrong on that.
4: This is still one of the stupidest things one person can say about Windows 8. How many programs do you have on the screen at the exact same time? 2? Maybe 3? I'd say that's about normal. Can have apps side by side, most support it quite well. If that, however, doesn't fit your fancy, you can STILL use the Desktop app(Protip: The Desktop's been an "app" since XP. Y'know...explorer.exe? That's an app. And that's allllllll the desktop iiiiiiiiiiis.)
6: Windows 8 is hardly confusing, stop spreading shitty FUD.
7: Um...no it's not? Who the hell gave you permission to decide what something is called, and whether or not your little nickname for it says whether it's an OS or not?
9: Hm. I don't think so. You'll have a brand new Start Screen, and can OPTIONALLY learn how to use Windows 8's new Metro/Modern stuff, but it's hardly required. Heck, even the Control Panel is still perfectly there.

Seriously people, get off the Windows H8 Bandwagon, and give the damn thing a try. Or AT LEAST be smart about what you say.

Oh yeah, one final note: Modern/Metro apps are perfectly sideloadable, don't have to go through the shop to get these.

Reactions: Engert

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...