DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tj_cool said:
DryYoshi said:
Won't get this. Looks like Windows 7 and I FREAKING HATE Windows 7! (with the taskbar and stuff, tried it at my grandma's)
I'll just stick to my broken Vista laptop
tongue.gif
You can fairly easily tweak the taskbar.
Yeah, just looked it up and it's changable.
In that case let's just say: What's the point of a new OS anyway?
But I might still upgrade... (to 7/8)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's a need for Windows 8, and it's pretty obvious if you know a bit of this and a bit of that about OS'es.

Windows's Kernel is going to be re-compiled to work with not only X86 and X64 processors, but also with ARM ones.

Why? For portability's sake. Many Netbooks and Tablets are using ARM architechture processors, thus crossing out Windows as an OS of choice.

But don't worry - Windows 8 won't have enough time to get comfy on your hard drives. It's followed closely by Midori - an entirely new, built from ground up Windows core. THAT'S what I'm waiting for.

QUOTE said:

Because Vista is a failiure of an OS compared even to XP as far as speed of use is concerned and getting 7 will turn your PC into a blazing Rapidash compared to Vista? The only reason I can think of, I guess.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
zeromac said:
Infinite Zero said:
Before that happens, I need to upgrade the laptop to 7 now!
ohnoes.png
My crappy 1.8GHZ laptop from 2006 can run Windows 7
rofl.gif
abeit without aero but i have to admit that 7 was hell of alot faster than Windows XP

I might snatch this up this week, see if there are any developments first

Seeing as my copy of Windows 7 has been found to be fake i need to upgrade anyways
happy.gif
I'll ask my parents about it. This laptop is hella slow though it has 3 GB of RAM. I'm just worried of all the files that I have.. and the games from Steam installed on my HDD..

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Issac said:
Unrelated screenshot? Because it says windows 7 in the bottom right corner.
Thats what i thought at first but thats just because this leak is of Milestone 1, I don't think they've bothered to change the UI and stuff yet as its most likely not their top priority

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Infinite Zero said:
zeromac said:
Infinite Zero said:
ohnoes.png
rofl.gif
abeit without aero but i have to admit that 7 was hell of alot faster than Windows XP

Seeing as my copy of Windows 7 has been found to be fake i need to upgrade anyways
happy.gif
I'll ask my parents about it. This laptop is hella slow though it has 3 GB of RAM. I'm just worried of all the files that I have.. and the games from Steam installed on my HDD..

What's your laptop's basic built (CPU/GPU) ? I can't think of a laptop with 3GB RAM jammed in that'd be "slow" unless there's zero to no maintenance performed on it periodically.

I'll guess - Acer? *shivers* You should probably get rid of all the brand software you have there and change them to things that actually work.

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
Infinite Zero said:
zeromac said:
Infinite Zero said:
ohnoes.png
rofl.gif

happy.gif

What's your laptop's basic built (CPU/GPU) ? I can't think of a laptop with 3GB RAM jammed in that'd be "slow" unless there's zero to no maintenance performed on it periodically.

I'll guess - Acer? *shivers* You should probably get rid of all the brand software you have there and change them to things that actually work.
Mine is a Toshiba with 2GB of ram (which i bought cos it originally only had 512MB) And it runs 7 pretty darn well

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This will just be another stopgap OS, like SE and Vista. I wouldn't expect anything interesting until Windows 9.

Edit: oops... SE pwned! I meant to say ME
tongue.gif

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a former official MS beta tester of 98, 98se, Me, XP, I can tell you from personal experience that the early builds of Windows never really look that different then there predecessor's, and usually a lot different then the final product. The early builds of XP (or "Whistler" as it was known back then) look nothing like the XP we have.

That said, as Foxi says Windows 8 is not meant as a "major" upgrade anyways, but as a "minor" upgrade, ala 95-->98. As for Midori, who knows when we'll ever see that, it's been like 8 years since they started work on that...

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
zeromac said:
Livin in a box said:
Remember that this build is from September so there won't be many fun things in it. It's pretty pointless right now.
I actually hadn't heard anything about a new OS until now lol

EDIT: Also how can you tell if this is build is from January?
The build string is 6.1.7850.0.winmain_win8m1.100922-1508 which means kernel 6.1 (same as Windows 7 so the UI hasn't changed), 7850 is the build number, obviously, winmain means that it's the main Windows build (or something to that effect, I'm never sure with that), win8m1 is Windows 8 Milestone 1 and the 100922 means 22nd September, 2010 at 3:08. So it's quite an old build, and I believe they're already past (or nearly at) Milestone 2.

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The whole point on Windows 8 is ARM support.
When Intel first made Atom processor they asked Microsoft to make Windows edition that takes advantage of Atom's special capabilities. Microsoft didn't do that so Intel is making their own Linux Foundation sanctioned Linux Distro Meego.

Now as a counter maneuver Microsoft is planning to break x86/x86-64 monopoly on desktop.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:

Because Vista is a failiure of an OS compared even to XP as far as speed of use is concerned and getting 7 will turn your PC into a blazing Rapidash compared to Vista? The only reason I can think of, I guess.

QUOTE(gokujr1000 @ Apr 13 2011, 01:54 PM)
I still would rather use a Windows XP then a Windows 7. Windows 7 should have just been a service pack for Windows Vista seeing Vista was one of the most Bullshit Os's Microsoft has yet to make.

There's nothing wrong with Vista, let me refer you to a few of Rydian's quotes:
Vista Bashers
Vista 7
Vista Office Lady

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
DryYoshi said:
Won't get this. Looks like Windows 7 and I FREAKING HATE Windows 7! (with the taskbar and stuff, tried it at my grandma's)
I'll just stick to my broken Vista laptop
tongue.gif
I'm assuming ur referring to the disapearance of the quick launch toolbar, u can add that back to windows 7 by adding right clicking the taskbar-->toolbars-->new toolbar, then navigate to username\appdata and find the quicklaunch folder and select it, done!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Javacat said:
This will just be another stopgap OS, like SE and Vista. I wouldn't expect anything interesting until Windows 9.

Edit: oops... SE pwned! I meant to say ME
tongue.gif
Everyone harps on how horrible Vista is based on what they've heard and how much better Windows XP is than Vista. Which is a load of bull, in a sense at least. When Vista first came out (Retail: Jan 30th 2007), XP (Retail: Oct 25th 2001) had 5 years and 3 months of polish under it's belt. Now that Vista has matured to the second service pack (the same as Windows had been when Vista was released), it's a different story.

The only real valid complaint is that drivers for Vista were (as in 'in the past') were bad when it came out. But that's not a Microsoft problem.
Sure you could argue that Microsoft is to blame because they changed the way things work, but from what I read they were very clear and open with the hardware developers on what changed and how to make things compatible. It's the 3rd party software developers that dropped the ball.
In addition, everyone seems to forget that when Windows XP was first released to the masses, drivers were also horrible: printers didn't print, scanners didn't scan, drives wouldn't work, etc... It's almost as if, every time there's a big change (READ: MORE THAN JUST THE PURDY GOOWEE) thing break. Of course, this is ALWAYS Microsoft's fault because they are the big evil corporation... it's never the fault of the people coding the drivers that those drivers are done horribly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...