1. DrYHeLL

OP DrYHeLL GBAtemp Regular

Damn, well I'm not paying so I'll stop complaining.

Anyhow MY download stopped at about 400 or so megabytes.... what gives? I already tried through microsoft and boy is that a hassel.

2. Deadmon

Deadmon A Temper

Canada
    Anyone running this on VPC? Sound isn't working here..
    Also, I was only prompted once to enter a key, but I just chose the online activation thing. Haven't gotten a key activation reminder since.

3. Renegade_R

Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Alright I just had my initial run through with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8. First impressions are...its not THAT much faster if you were running Windows Vista 64-bit on a gaming machine. Gaming machines don't seem to get a huge performance boost because they were able to run Vista very well already (I define a gaming machine as a 3.00GHz dual core Intel, 4GB RAM, 8800GT 512MB). But the usability has definately increased such as the drag a window the left, it fills half of the screen, drag to top it fills the entire screen.

Paint and Wordpad got a nice workover too. Paint now seems to antialias lines. Now we can have less crappy internet Paint edits. Wordpad really looks like mini-Office Word. I love it.

My favourite feature by far though is the Internet Explorer 8 Accelerators. Now I'm a die-hard Opera user but I decided to give IE8 a shot. Flame me if you want....but I think its faster than Firefox. As well as that, the Accelerators are amazing. If I see an address on the screen, I just highlight that address and I get instant access to Google or Live maps. Same thing works for any text and it can initiate a search, email, ebay lookup, dictionary, encyclopedia lookup.

I suggest EVERYONE give Windows 7 a shot. I tried to go Mac but I couldn't stay cause it just doesn't offer what I want in a system. But I think Windows 7 is AMAZING...especially if you skipped over Vista.

PS: It was a pain to install...to dual boot Vista and Windows 7 normally is okay...but if your Vista is cracked like mine...its a REAL pain cause dual boot kills the bootloader...got it to work in the end though.

Edit: I just noticed that when you use an Accelerator in IE8, it color codes the tabs so you know where you came from and where you ended up....very cool

4. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Sorry but it's xkcd time.

[​IMG]

5. Scorpei

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    My MS download simply doesn't work. I get to the screen where you get your key (which I already have btw), where I get the 'loading' spinning thing, and there is just dies (neither the error nor the key + download screen show up). No unofficial download locations yet (non on Yabse search anyway)?

==edit==
    Aalright, the 'official' download link doesn't seem to work for me anymore. What does work (and circumvents the registration) is the method that was mentioned a while back by rhguy I think. Also chrome seems unable to download, probably due to the aciveX download manager which isn't installed, where IE does work (not tested others, read firefox works and opera fails).

I have to say I find it very funny that so many people are willing to switch to a beta. Really shows how unhappy people are with their current OS (/Windows) (I mean way over 2.500.000 people is quite a lot [​IMG]).

6. Nuke85

Nuke85 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah like 3 seconds shut downtimes it's crazy fast..Doesn't take me too long to boot though maybe it's because of my system.

Quad @ 2.40 GHZ, 8 GBS DDR2

7. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Thanks for your impressions!
    I have a gaming machine myself with Vista 64bit, so probably won't be bothered to download it. But if my friend downloaded it, I will surely test it [​IMG]

8. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!
    Former Staff

Italy
    I used WMP12 and no corruptions. Oh well. Better lucky than sorry [​IMG]

9. DrYHeLL

Firefox didnt work for me [​IMG]
    I found that on the FAQ page it said "What do I need to download this?". Answer was Internet Explorer. I loaded shitnet explorer got the download manager (finally) and let it download overnight. Now all I have to do is make a partition.

Maybe I'll try through virtual machine. Anyone know how to go about doing this?

10. rhyguy

rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

I just enabled ahci (which was a pain to get windows to recognize) and my disk transfer score went up 0.1 points [​IMG]

11. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

12. Deadmon

Deadmon A Temper

Canada
    Get Virtual PC 2007 (SP1), and set it up. Once you get the Beta .iso, just load it from there and it'll work fine. [​IMG]
    Still haven't got sound in mine, but it's fun to poke around in VPC.

13. Lee79

Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

I made a guide here is the link http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=120609&

14. noONE

noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    I've played around some in Windows7 but unfortunatly the PC i'm trying it on only has a Geforce 4800Ti card.. so no driver is available and thus the whole system is very slow every time anything graphical appears (which is like.. always).
    I know that it needs to be a DirectX9 compilant card.. but if it can display anything at all (like now) there got to be some way to have a driver compatible with W7 so that it atleast gets better..
    Nvidia seems just to support Geforce 6 series and upwards for W7..

15. DrYHeLL

I've got everything set up for duel boot (thank god for vista partitioning)

Off topic a little: Do you think Microsoft realized how big of a flop vista would be so they included partitioning software so their angry customers would at least be happy upgrading/duelbooting with something that didn't wreak of failure? [​IMG]

Also Virtual PC is done downloading thanks Lee! Will decide after playing with Virtual PC if the duel boot is worth it.

16. Raki

Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Gambia, The
    anyone tried Windows 7 with a geforce 6700XL (this was a custom build by medion, it should feature a 6600GT GPU with some overclocking)? I just get a flashing screen, so I cannot adjust anything...

17. Uchiha Obito

Uchiha Obito GBAtemp Fan

18. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    i just deleted it...i wasn't too impressed tbh. it seems more like a vista sp2, then a whole system. though when the final comes out, i'll make the switch, but for now vista is fine.

19. Prime

Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

Hm yeah, Well I posted that ages ago. A while after i posted it this news came out.

and by availability i think they mean how long you have until you can't download the iso from their servers and can't get a beta code from their website. Nothing about the OS not working.

20. Raki

Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Gambia, The
    Ok got it solved

But I don't see any performance increase. It's quite slow compared to XP on 1 GB RAM, 3 GHZ Pentium D, Geforce 6700XL...(Aero is disabled...I always get a bluescreen when requesting the PC score)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Windows,