Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Schlupi said:
If it's flash player, try reinstalling it? >_>
...read the whole post.

But to summarize:
Reinstalling Flash Player didn't solve the problem. Reinstalling it again didn't solve the problem. Reinstalling WINDOWS didn't solve the problem.

(on a related note, I just installed Windows XP as dualboot, and I'm not having any problems on that side. The problem only happens on Windows 7, even after reinstalling)

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
YayMii said:
Schlupi said:
If it's flash player, try reinstalling it? >_>
...read the whole post.

But to summarize:
Reinstalling Flash Player didn't solve the problem. Reinstalling it again didn't solve the problem. Reinstalling WINDOWS didn't solve the problem.

(on a related note, I just installed Windows XP as dualboot, and I'm not having any problems on that side. The problem only happens on Windows 7, even after reinstalling)
Wait, reinstalling windows (assuming this time without SP1) did not solve the problem? Assuming you did NOT install all drivers (if it's a driver issue installing the latest greatest drivers in the same setup you had could make the system crash just as hard of course), that's weird and would indicate a hardware problem. If the problem is there using stock settings, either the board is toast or the ram (at least via probability, had a machine do similar crashes with a failing disk, passing SMART). Seeing the machine you describe (sort of), have you checked your caps for leaking? Back in the day there was a company spewing out bad caps, my K8N-E sadly was one of them. Oh yea and 20 hours of linux, unless the machine is very unstable, sais NOTHING about possible hardware failure due to overclocking. For all you know it's a lucky run, load was low and thus so was Vdrop.

You did remember to turn off cool'n quiet and all other speedsteppings btw right
wink.gif
? /see that was mentioned

Personally had good results with catalyst 9.3 on an AGP board btw. That was using XP.

And seeing as there is something with flash player in there with your last few posts: it sucks. You also say that without any programs installed the machine crashes? That would go with hardware or driver failure bigtime. As for flash, they somehow broke hardware accelerated flash playback, make sure that is disabled (if available).

Oh and if you recently installed new hardware, check your IRQs. Could be, had that problem a few times back in the day with hardware sharing the IRQ not understanding which info was for which hardware
wink.gif

My most logical conclusion at this point: You, or windows, upgraded the drivers which are now causing an issue OR you have dead caps. That is unless you have recently started those overclocks and haven't actually run any genuine tests with that XP of yours you just installed.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm currently using the PCI-e version of Catalyst 11.4 on my XP with no issues (the last few AGP versions caused BSODs, and I heard the newest PCI-e version had compatibility with AGP and it works fine). I've installed a few games on it, and currently having absolutely no issues aside from my computer being too outdated to play some of the games smoothly at max settings.

The only driver (other than Catalyst) that I've installed on my Windows 7 is a Vista driver I need for my audio card (since it isn't natively supported). I doubt that'd be the issue since 7 is compatible with Vista drivers, and that it was functioning fine before. I tried the version of Catalyst that I had before the SP1 upgrade, and it doesn't change a thing.

I feel like I'm being a bit childish right now though. For one, I heard that the EXE version of SP1 was causing issues, so I opted for a W7 with the SP1 slipstreamed. That didn't solve the issue. And the freezing started when I installed Flash, so I started to blame it even though it's starting to freeze sometimes when I'm not even browsing the web.

However, I'm not ruling out Flash as a possibility, as the freezes tend to happen more when I'm on YouTube. But when I disable hardware acceleration, it somehow happens more often. The freezes usually happen around 35-40 degrees C, most often at no CPU load.

I'm going to stick with XP for now, and I'll try Windows 7 SP0 when I have time.

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This thread is dead, but I ended up finding out the issue the hard way
frown.gif

Turns out my PSU actually was starting to die. A few weeks ago my bro had rage for me accidentally letting my dog crap in his room (she still wasn't quite trained yet), and he unplugged my PC while I was using it...after that all it did when you hit the power button was spin the fans for about a second then shut off. We tried another PSU and it stays on but with only a black screen.
I'm over the fact it's dead, mostly because I'm getting a new laptop in a week or two (it has to be a Mac though due to school requirements
unsure.gif
). But my dad (who has an older PC than mine) has a use for the GPU I put into it, but I'm unsure if it'll work since there's no display.
But I still don't get why the issues weren't happening in Linux (or XP for that matter). I was just internet browsing anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer