Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
So I got a single legal windows 7 professional CD key. From what I remember, a single key only works for one computer. My friend kept on insisting that it will be ok and legal if I were to install it on multiple computers like 3 to 4... is it true?

Ben_j

Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
no, if you want to update it (which is more than advised) you have to activate it, and you can't have several computers activated with the same key at the same time. So tell your friend to fuck off

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
What he said
ohmy.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Actually it depends on your copy of Win7

IIRC - you CAN buy versions of Win7 with multi licences - so perhaps that's what your friends is getting confused about. I believe it's called the 'Win 7 Family pack', & it has 3-licences

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:

IIRC - you CAN buy versions of Win7 with multi licences - so perhaps that's what your friends is getting confused about. I believe it's called the 'Win 7 Family pack', & it has 3-licences
Microsoft no longer offers the Family Pack.
closedeyes.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just do a phone-in activation. They'll GIVE you a new key. Just lie to them about any other installs of that disk and tell them you had to reformat or upgraded your system or you had a hardware failure or whatever other BS story you can come up with. They won't hassle you about it at all. You'll be all set and no one gets in trouble for anything.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Dialexio said:
CannonFoddr said:

Microsoft no longer offers the Family Pack.
closedeyes.gif
Amazon does (although it IS an upgrade pack)

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok you bought a legit copy, you did the nice guy thing. Bill loves you.

Now my suggestion is if you desperately need it on other machines, just get the Windows 7 Ultimate activated serial included already download and stop trying to reinvent the wheel over this.

I am told though that it is not out of line to install it on more than one machine in a single household.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Attached to each licence (upon activation) is a complete list of Hardware IDs. Basically they know what your computer looks like (at least, the parts that make it up, like the CPU, RAM, MoBo, etc). They won't care at all if you change one or two things (say, switch CPU, or switch RAM), but they will care when they detect an entirely different system running an already used licence. That's when you get the warning that you may be the victim of counterfeit software and you should activate it with "genuine" windows. I.e. you have to call them up - the process is quick and straightforward.

So basically, the only way you can use the same key on multiple computers is if you don't activate windows (namely, don't go online and get the various windows updates).

You can crack your other computers or use fake serials, but that's illegal (not that anyone can stop you). You can fork a bit out and get the Family pack for multiple licences, but it's only slightly cheaper than just getting it off Amazon. You can just go and buy a licence for each comp, but that's expensive (at least, I think it is).

An extra option is find someone who is a student at University. Students taking IT-related courses can get Win7 for free from their course advisor/convener. Anyone else has to fork out £30 for it (and more if they want a permanent download link and/or a DVD backup). If I recall, it's limited to one copy per person, and is done entirely through the student email account.

What you do is up to you.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got Windows 7 for my old laptop through the upgrade program and another copy of WIN7 using my student account for $30

I also have an Ultimate WIN7 cracked but that one I'm not even using it
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1