Gaming Windows 7 in schools?

RE4zombie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A better question would be why haven't schools adopted Ubuntu. It's free, easy to use, has less security problems. Essentially the same functions as Windows without having to pay.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question:
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
blank.gif
Who cares?

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RE4zombie said:
A better question would be why haven't schools adopted Ubuntu. It's free, easy to use, has less security problems. Essentially the same functions as Windows without having to pay.
Because a lot of software is Windows or OSX only.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
RE4zombie said:
Funny, part of what I had to do for a class last week was answer this question.

What factors do you think may be keeping professional organizations from implementing Linux on a large scale?
It all boils down to money in one way or another.

While linux itself can be had for free, you'd still need support, which isn't free. In corporate environments you may need the software you're using patched or modified in some way, and that's going to cost as usual. The initial cost may be free, but there's still upkeep, so it's not like switching to linux would eliminate software costs.

There's also the matter of re-training your current staff, which is going to cost time and money (especially with how dead-set in their ways people used to only one instance of one platform can be).

Microsoft is also good at trying to keep people who used their products from moving to other products, for example it's office suite uses docx and it's related formats as the default, which for a time couldn't be read (let alone edited) in non-Microsoft programs. While Microsoft has claimed they made a new format to push for standards, it was an obvious lie as only one version of their new format has been accepted by the ISO (29500), and it's not the version their 2007 products actually saved in. It wasn't until 2010 that they started actually using the ISO-accepted format, but by then most other third-party products (such as Abiword and Open Office) had worked out how to edit their files. If there's this kind of issue with some word documents, you can imagine the hassle of trying to move from a windows-controlled server environment to linux.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From my experience, the schools I've went to all used Macs. They're actually more expensive, but much easier and cheaper to maintain because they don't have to worry about viruses.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
From my experience, the schools I've went to all used Macs. They're actually more expensive, but much easier and cheaper to maintain because they don't have to worry about viruses.
Neither do PCs if you're not retarded.

EDIT: I forgot we were talking about schools. Now I feel bad for bringing their disorder to attention.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Reason 1. Cost. Why spend a fortune upgrading an OS when the one you have is working just fine? This is especially true in a down economy when tax dollars are scarce. Teacher Salaries > Fancy Graphics.

2. Training and other set-up headaches. Transition headaches like training take away from class time.

Necoconeco

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why should someone stop using an operating system because there are no more updates or service packs?

When I install a fresh copy of Win7 or Vista or XP, I often just skip the tedious update parts because they don't really benefit me.

If I was in charge of a school. I could save alot of my budget by not spending money on new computers or operating systems.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Reason 1. Cost. Why spend a fortune upgrading an OS when the one you have is working just fine? This is especially true in a down economy when tax dollars are scarce. Teacher Salaries > Fancy Graphics.

2. Training and other set-up headaches. Transition headaches like training take away from class time.
Have you seen the way teachers treat their salaries?
They're not exactly the worst off, yet they complain and whine for more money.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For school computer, Windows XP is sufficient. It is cheap and gets the job done.

Heck, my community college still uses Windows 2000 on their brand new computer.

RE4zombie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
RE4zombie said:
Funny, part of what I had to do for a class last week was answer this question.

What factors do you think may be keeping professional organizations from implementing Linux on a large scale?
It all boils down to money in one way or another.

While linux itself can be had for free, you'd still need support, which isn't free. In corporate environments you may need the software you're using patched or modified in some way, and that's going to cost as usual. The initial cost may be free, but there's still upkeep, so it's not like switching to linux would eliminate software costs.

There's also the matter of re-training your current staff, which is going to cost time and money (especially with how dead-set in their ways people used to only one instance of one platform can be).

Microsoft is also good at trying to keep people who used their products from moving to other products, for example it's office suite uses docx and it's related formats as the default, which for a time couldn't be read (let alone edited) in non-Microsoft programs. While Microsoft has claimed they made a new format to push for standards, it was an obvious lie as only one version of their new format has been accepted by the ISO (29500), and it's not the version their 2007 products actually saved in. It wasn't until 2010 that they started actually using the ISO-accepted format, but by then most other third-party products (such as Abiword and Open Office) had worked out how to edit their files. If there's this kind of issue with some word documents, you can imagine the hassle of trying to move from a windows-controlled server environment to linux.
You're probably right. I think it could only work if the school system was brand new. Then they wouldn't have the hassle of moving all the files, etc. And since MS Windows is so widespread, you would need to adapt. But I think that kids can be flexible with different OS's much more so than adults. They are after all, more tech savvy. VirtualBox and a pirated copy of Windows could also be run in that environment, so you could get the best of both worlds in terms of software development, with it still being free.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Necoconeco said:
Why should someone stop using an operating system because there are no more updates or service packs?

When I install a fresh copy of Win7 or Vista or XP, I often just skip the tedious update parts because they don't really benefit me.

If I was in charge of a school. I could save alot of my budget by not spending money on new computers or operating systems.
You're an idiot, and I'm going to have to ask you not to give anybody computer advice until you learn better.

Now, normally when I see people making mistakes I'm inclined to explain why I say "wrong", but this is just so obviously stupid to anybody that knows the first damn thing about computer security (or their use in our current society) that I'm just going to insult you and leave it at that.

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Dter ic said:
Price,
if it is too expensive, then at least save those ict vouchers from tescos so that you can afford 100 licenses or so..

QUOTE(Snailface @ Nov 5 2010, 08:28 PM) Reason 1. Cost. Why spend a fortune upgrading an OS when the one you have is working just fine? This is especially true in a down economy when tax dollars are scarce. Teacher Salaries > Fancy Graphics.

Also you have a flippin weekend ad insert days for a reason

also i just lol'd at Necoconeco's post

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The NHS in the UK is stuck on XP and IE6. I understand XP is nice and simple but IE6? That's prehistoric!

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seeing as you're in the UK your school's computers are probably bought from RM. As far as I know the RM standard is still XP.
Therefore schools themselves can't update to windows 7 because then they'd lose support from RM by installing over their customised drive image.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w_UTPpHjg