Windows 7 ... Games do not install a start menu folder

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by XtremeCore, Nov 15, 2009.

1. XtremeCore
    OP

Member XtremeCore GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi everyone,

I recently formatted my com and installed Windows 7, and it's good, because I realized my performance is much better and faster.

However, I've one problem that's troubling me.

I've no problem installing games since capability issues are near 0. However, the problem comes when the game installed should come with a start menu folder didn't appear on my start menu. Instead, the shortcut of the game went into the Games section.

For example:

I've installed Call of Duty World At War, and by right, the start menu should have a folder like Activision\Call of Duty - World at War, however, I couldn't find my CoD WaW shortcut, and only managed to find my Modern Warfare shortcut:

[​IMG]

And INSTEAD, it appeared in my Games start menu folder ...

[​IMG]

Oh, and also, if you look at the picture, it goes the same for my Need For Speed Shift ... no Electronic Arts\Need For Speed Shift\ start menu folder, but straight into the game folder...

And one more thing to add on ... it seems that Modern Warfare, which is not in the games start menu folder, has its own start menu folder, so ... is there any setting that I can do such that the games I installed don't go into the game folder but has its own start menu folder?

Cheers [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    they're "games for windows" and m$ wanted them to appear next to their shitty shovelware crap.
    so uh, manually make a shortcut. its what everyone else does.

honestly though, why aren't you using steam?

3. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Maybe he wants to be able to play games when not connected to the internet?

4. XtremeCore
    OP

Member XtremeCore GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks, and yeah.

But I would go for Garena if I want online play though.

5. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    please, steam lets you do that. except without the multiplayer, which is fucking retarded as you wouldn't be able to play online multiplayer offline anyways.
    lern2think

6. Teny

Member Teny GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe he wants the physical case and disc.
    That's why I buy my games in stores, and I don't have to DL the games either. Takes me about 30 min back and forth going to a 24/7 walmart and doesn't get tied to a account, and takes me 11 hours to DL a 4GB game. Which is better?

7. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    I'm fairly sure that the games from steam are compressed so its not the full 4gb you're downloading. Also once you've downloaded it you CAN back it up onto a DVD and of course this will have all the updates on it as well.