Gaming Windows 7 drivers question

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My dad is now asking me to upgrade the PC to Windows 7 after seeing the adverts and the hype over how it's "ALL THE GOOD PARTS OF VISTA".

But the problem is that the PC that he wants Windows 7 on is 3 years old and as such, the drivers for everything on it is old, old old. I was wonderinf if Windows 7 has problems installing drivers that are meant for XP only or is there any other alternatives?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If it's old hardware it should detect all of it out of the box. And IIRC, XP drivers should work, if Vista drivers aren't really available.

Astral_

GBAtemp elder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
3 years old is not THAT old. Plus the drivers on Windows 7 are mostly the same that came with Vista (ala 2000/XP).

The upgrade should be alright (still, backuping is always a good idea
smile.gif
)

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Astral_ said:
3 years old is not THAT old. Plus the drivers on Windows 7 are mostly the same that came with Vista (ala 2000/XP).

The upgrade should be alright (still, backuping is always a good idea
smile.gif
)

yeah my desktop PC is now 4 years old and all drivers were found by windows 7 (and there are a lot of OEM custom things in it) ...even the sdhc enabled drivers for my card reader were found

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If it doesn't work, 7 will say he has detected a problem, and will ask if you want to search a solution on the internet.
I clicked yes on that, and he automatically went to the producer of my videocard (NVIDIA) and to the right pair of drivers, just released for compatibility with 7.
Amazing, it found it by itself, first time Windows Helpcenter actually did something good for me!

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
If it doesn't work, 7 will say he has detected a problem, and will ask if you want to search a solution on the internet.
I clicked yes on that, and he automatically went to the producer of my videocard (NVIDIA) and to the right pair of drivers, just released for compatibility with 7.
Amazing, it found it by itself, first time Windows Helpcenter actually did something good for me!
http://www.informationweek.com/news/softwa...cleID=221400147

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you are connected to the internet during installation so it can download any missing drivers.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
If it is 3 years old, it really shouldn't have a problem with drivers. Besides, windows 7 will download the drivers for any hardware it cannot properly detect and configure from the start.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2: