Windows 7 64bit help

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Hellow, Apr 19, 2010.

Apr 19, 2010

Windows 7 64bit help by Hellow at 8:44 AM (1,255 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Hellow
    OP

Member Hellow GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    hey guys i wanna upgrade from windows 7 32bit to 64 bit on my hp dv6000 laptop.
    so what im wondering is what the requirements for 64 bit are there?
    like can any computer run 64bit or are the specifications, some can and some cant?
    i do know that ill probably need to download drivers for it.
    thanks in advance

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    If my google is correct your laptop has a core2duo T7200 and 1 gigabyte of ram, I'd stick with 32 bit windows or upgrade the ram at the same time (might not be a bad idea anyway, 1 gigs isn't all that much).

As for requirements to 64 bit windows 7, a 3 second google with the query "windows 7 requirements" and the first hit gave me:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...quirements.aspx
    Which pretty much gives you the basic requirements.
    For the fun of things, naturally those specs are a guideline [​IMG]

3. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Well the cpu needs to be able to support 64 bit. (IIRC)
    Do you have 4gb or more of ram? If not just stick with 32 bit.

4. lakaiskateboarding

Member lakaiskateboarding GBAtemp Regular

Your processor needs to support 64 bit and most drivers you are using now won´t work, because you will need 64 bit drivers. Also some programs don´t work with 64bit, but that´s getting better.

5. Hellow
    OP

Australia
    nahh ive still got the original 1gig of ram which i hate sooo much im thinking of adding more ram maybe to 4 gig so would i then be able to run 64bit windows 7?

6. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    64bit OSes just let you address more than 2^32-1 bytes of memory, or 4GB.
    Taking into account other devices and such that your OS also has to address, you'll be able to use 3.5GB or less of your RAM.
    If you're going to use more than 3GB RAM, then go 64bit. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time.

7. Hellow
    OP

Australia
    but doesnt 64bit make the computer better in general? doesnt 64bit make the computer able to run more things at once with more ease then 32bit

8. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Quoted from w7forums.com:

9. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    Im going for 64bit as most application in 32bit can run in 64bit, AFAIK

improvements has been done in the Vista era.

almost all new laptops today are 64bit.

if you have 3GB or 4GB, go for 64bit. I have 3GB and I know I will be fine with 64bit.

depends on what you need really. if you dont have programs, 32bit is your choice. research your applications if they are 64bit ready, otherwise, stay with 32bit.

I dont have problems with 64bit as I took the upgrade advisory.

10. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    We haven't sold a machine with 32bit Win7 on since the day it came out. It's time to move on and ditch 32bit.

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You can't update from 32 to 64-bit windows, you need to do a full reinstall.

With your specs you don't need to go 64-bit, wait until you get a new computer, as things that require a 64-bit OS won't run on your specs anyways.

12. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm confused on why he should wait to go up to 64-bit. The only reason not to is if he was using hardware that so ancient, there's no 64-bit drivers. Most software can be installed even if it's 32-bit without issues.

13. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    If he wants to for the sake of it then by all means he needs to go and try it right now regardless of whatever we say. However:
    1. the performance increase gained isn't that much
    2. he has 1 gigabyte of ram! 1 gigabyte! Now if he ups that to 3 gig (no reason to hit the 4 really, though dual channel full instead of L can be better) that kinda goes away, however there still isn't all the much reason to go up to 64 bit
    3. not everything has 64 bit drivers and not everything that has them have signed drivers thus not everything is compatible even if it is new (the latter is a non argument of course if he went with 64bit linux.....^^)

14. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    My dad has a dv6000 with 2GB of RAM and its about 3 years old...extrapolating from that, your dv6000 with 1GB is probably even older, so I strongly doubt it has a 64-bit processor, and even if it does I also doubt it can even work with 4GB of RAM.

15. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    i have the HP dv6000 and it has 3 gigs of ram that came with it... now mind has 2. (this info only helps if you and i have the same pc) [​IMG]

the intel core 2 duo you have IS 64-bit compatible.

but it came with 32-bit OS. so.... i say if you plan to get more RAM upgrade but if not just stay on 32-bit.

16. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Actually, I have 2gb of ram and windows 7 64bit run fine on my computer.[​IMG] Yeah my computer is 2 years old and is 64bit compatibility. [​IMG]

17. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    It seems Samsung laptops still come with 32bit Windows 7 as standard. I talked to staff at Micro Anvika about it, and it doesn't seem likely to change in the near future (even though the laptop I looked at had 4GB of RAM - still only had 32bit windows).

Unfortunately, it seems like it will still take some time for the transition to 64bit as standard, even though all computers I use these days all use 64bit and at least 4GB of RAM. There are still far too many useful tools and programs that only run in 32bit Windows and refuse to run in 64bit Vista or W7, which makes me use an old IDE drive with Windows XP on it whenever I have to use those programs.

EDIT: To my knowledge, all CPUs made in the last half decade have 64bit capability as standard, so using x86 or x64 windows is really a free choice.

18. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Everything from Pentium 4 and onward should support the 64bit architecture in Intel's case, for AMD it's from Athlon 64 and onward (as if the name itself didn't give it away [​IMG]).