Windows 10 Keeps on Freezing and Crashing

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Polarise, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Polarise
    OP

Polarise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    Hello, so I have this problem with my computer where it crashes into the blue screen with error: "Critical Process Died"

This has happened several times so here is how it happens.

I am on google chrome, browsing the web. Sometimes I am watching a video. After a couple of hours of usage, sometimes I want to open a new web page. Then the site that I want to load does not finish loading. Also the start menu becomes unresponsive and I can't open it. Not even Task Manager. So then it crashes. This sometimes happens when I am watching a YouTube video.

If you need information about my hardware here it is:

Lenovo Ideapad U310 2015

Intel(R) Core i7(TM)-3571U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.40GHz

8GB of RAM

x64 Bit Operating System x64 - based processor.

2. Polarise
    OP

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    This has happened around 10 times so far

3. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Do you have the correct drivers installed? You have been having ALOT of technical threads lately lol. I'm going to just say it, maybe you need to downgrade OSes. Windows 7 would probably be better for your laptop specs. Windows 10 is pretty processor heavy and a lot is running in the background. Disable the tons of W10 bloat ware or switch to W7.

4. Polarise
    OP

Jul 12, 2016
    United States
    I prefer Windows 10 because of the sleek UI though. It worked fine last week.

5. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    windows 7

VinLark likes this.
  6. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Well I'm sorry but you might have to switch. Have you downloaded any shady things? Try restoring from a restore point, see if that fixes it.

7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I would advise against switching to 7 since it's reaching EoL, and Microsoft will be dropping security support over the next year or so (Ultimate will be the last to be dropped in 2020). Your specs are more than enough to run 10. Have you ran a memory test to see if you have a bad RAM stick? Also, do you have multiple anti-viruses installed? This can cause kernel panics due to them performing conflicting kernel hooks, thus resulting in a BSoD. If you're not a major gamer you could always give Linux a try. More and more AAA games are being ported to it every day with rise in popularity of SteamOS if that is a concern, though.

Last edited by Joom, Jan 18, 2017
  8. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Windows 7 is shaitsters, and most likely not a solution to your problem. I'm suspecting a hardware issue like bad ram or something. I reccomend you download Prime95 and run a stress test, and see if that causes your system to lock up or if a task corrupts.

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    To me this issue sounds like an IO problem with the HDD. That said, since it BSoDs, there should be crash dumps that can be uploaded for those with the experience to analyse which system processes are dying.