Wind energy 3x more efficient

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by cosmiccow, Aug 30, 2011.

Aug 30, 2011
  1. cosmiccow
    OP

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    Status quo: Right now the US could satisfy one third of their total energy needs with power generated with wind turbines.

Now the Japanese found a way to triple the energy output of wind turbines.

So it becomes possible and even cheaper to live from wind power. Not to mention water and solar energy or even coal to fill additional gaps.

Source: http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-inn...per-than-nuclea

___
    Edit:
    Research from Kyushu University: http://www.riam.kyushu-u.ac.jp/windeng/en_...s_detail04.html
    Another article: http://news.discovery.com/tech/lens-wind-t...nify-power.html

2. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    o joy those sweet cards that take 6 hours to charge and run for 3 hours at 30mph

3. deathking

Member deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    current wind power is a joke , it produces no power and people living near it report head aches and other illnesses

4. mori123

Member mori123 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Clearly You have not got your Information correct, The Nissan leaf travels around 100 km per charge, is totally ev, and goes Normal road speeds, the Chevy Volt is a range extended hybrid and travels about 60km per charge but instead of having a gasoline engine for the car has an electric engine and uses a gas motor to generate power for that powertrain. allowing it to travel up to 500-600kms per tank of gas, and you plug in in

5. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    one third times three is... ALL OF THE POWERS!!! [​IMG]

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    it took that that long to make them round [​IMG]

7. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    if anyone believes that countries WANT this type of energy and the USA really WANTS to be "green" you are an idiot.

they will NEVER get this country away from fossil fuels, there is too much money to be made for the government, and the oil companies will not let this happen. its sad but true. this is one conspiracy theory that i think is no longer a conspiracy.

seriously, its 2011, there is a ridiculous amount of knowledge out there and things can be done to help the masses, but the government refuses to do this. sad but true.

8. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    If you knew what you are talking about, you'd know that most fully electric card manage more than 100 miles at usual driving speeds. Also the charging time is irrelevant, as all you need to do is them into a regular outlet when you're not using them. The cost of charging an electric car is usually a lot less than the cost of the equivalent amount of gasoline/petrol, even in the US where your gas is a lot cheaper than here.
    The only thing stopping electric cars from being a mass success is the propaganda being spread by oil companies about how crap they are, when really, for regular town drivers they are better.

[edit]Of all the words to misspell, oil had to be it [​IMG][/edit]

9. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    this is not gonna happen, because oil companies and the people behind them won't let it. it takes away the dependency for oil, which is very bad for their respective business.

i imagine small projects enough to power a community or two would be appearing, but any bigger than that and i'll expect proposals to start getting shot down at every opportunity, maybe even some people dying.

10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Wow, this news sure blows.

HAH HAH I MADE A PUN.

11. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    And yet the article never explained how it works.

12. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Yes it does at 1:40, the shape of the fin creates a low pressure area, which pulls in air. The more/faster the air is pulled towards the turbine the faster it goes. The same principle is used in lift aircraft off the ground.

13. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I can see this happening if big oil start investing in wind power even buying out all of the plants. That's right big oil get with the times and focus your greed on something worthwhile because oil is slowly going out of fashion.

14. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    after watching some youtube videos, i think our comments are more oriented to sound like youtube comments

but i always wanted wind power to rise along with solar and its great to see them coming up well

15. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Yes, among others.

16. cosmiccow
    OP

Member cosmiccow Original Hippie

Germany
    That's pretty good Veho!

[​IMG]

17. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    the funny thing is that i do know what i am talking about

18. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    I think electromobiles are a perfect application for hydrogen fuel cells. Lithium, which is used for high-density batteries, is too scarce to use it in the large batteries cars need (and it is used anyway - way to get rid of resource-dependency...), and have the problem of requiring charging, which takes time. Hydrogen fuel cells, while their efficiency is somewhat lower, can be refilled at stations like combustion engines can, but their fuel can be generated without significant depletion of resources if you have a source of energy for that, enabling extension of their range with fuel stations similar to conventional vehicles, a solution I would certainly prefer over lithium batteries, despite potentially higher cost and space requirements.

19. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    As far as I'm aware, no one has been able to differentiate them from placebo illnesses.

At least they no longer explode bat lungs.... sorta.

20. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    We need to get this stuff going.

Like... yesterday.