Win 7 Ultimate or Win 8 Pro?

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is for an old LGA775 C2D E8200 with 4GBs of RAM.
I don't give a bloody shit about the damn UI. It'll mainly be a home server, a gaming server, and a spare PC if need be. I have copies of both OSs (With keys) lying around. Both are 64-Bit versions as well.

I just want the one that will be the fastest for the old dinosaur.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you have copies of both OS'es then try both of them and see for yourself. That being said, 4GB of RAM is "just about enough" for x64 systems, but you could use a tad more than that - consider upgrading your memory.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have copies of both OS'es then try both of them and see for yourself. That being said, 4GB of RAM is "just about enough" for x64 systems, but you could use a tad more than that - consider upgrading your memory.

It's DDR2, so that'd be a bit out of the question, seeing how pricey those things are. Anyway, I have no preference. Used both, I just want the faster one.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, Windows 8 proved to be more CPU and RAM sufficient than 7. But if it's only for server/next to no normal use, why not run XP or a less powerful version of Linux on it. That way you'll get the most out of it as a server.

It'll be running as a secondary PC for my Dad when he visits, so Linux is out. Also, I don't have XP lying around.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Windows 8 is the faster and more efficient OS, but not every hardware vendor has released Windows 8-specific updates to their drivers yet so you may run into some compatibility issues - I hope that answers your question.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should get either one to your taste.. Why dont you try it and see which one suit you the best. Just check the google for both to compare. :D

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Craaaaap. Thought I opened up Computer games and technology. I'll report myself now.

w2sH3EI.gif

Honestly, you'll be fine with either. The big advantage of having Windows 7 is that people won't ask why you don't have Windows 7 installed whenever you mention your OS. That's worth considering.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You want speed? Windows XP or a distro of Linux. Both Win7 and Win8 are bloated.
Windows XP stops getting security updates in 7 months. Recommending it at this point in time to be used on a network-connected computer is absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: Rydian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad