Will you be upgrading to Windows 10?

Will you be upgrading to Windows 10?

• Total voters

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of the apps I use have compatibility issues and if you do find any (doubtful) you can run them in compatibility mode. Very certain Microsoft has tested every driver under the sun unless you're using a PC from pre 2000 you will be fine. My Realtek Audio works just fine and yes you can install to a separate partition (on the same drive) which you probably shouldn't do.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My GPU isn't new and doesn't support DX12, I don't own an Xbox One, and no, I don't have money to get one lol. So, really, that, and I don't want to lose my installed programs or get driver incompatibilities. Does nVidia even have GTX 660 drivers for Windows 10 yet? Or Realtek for their HD Audio drivers? That's what I'm concerned about the most.

Also interesting note in the installation process here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

If you look at step 8, it clearly states: "On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select the partition that you want, select the formatting option you want to perform (if needed), and then follow the instructions."

Does this mean that you can choose a different partition?

I don't want to end up regretting this.
Just do a normal upgrade and keep files and settings if you dont like it you can go back to windows 7 through windows 10 natively

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of the apps I use have compatibility issues and if you do find any (doubtful) you can run them in compatibility mode. Very certain Microsoft has tested every driver under the sun unless you're using a PC from pre 2000 you will be fine. My Realtek Audio works just fine and yes you can install to a separate partition (on the same drive) which you probably shouldn't do.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just do a normal upgrade and keep files and settings if you dont like it you can go back to windows 7 through windows 10 natively

Okay, about a second partition, but can't you install it on a second HDD though? Surely, there's an option for that? I still have my doubts, programs like Source Filmmaker are very picky about files and directories and are set up in a very specific way, I don't want to have to set up all my programs again, or retype my passwords/login credentials. Well that, and I just...I don't know. Why is it bad to make another OS partition on the same drive?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, about a second partition, but can't you install it on a second HDD though? Surely, there's an option for that? I still have my doubts, programs like Source Filmmaker are very picky about files and directories and are set up in a very specific way, I don't want to have to set up all my programs again, or retype my passwords/login credentials. Well that, and I just...I don't know. Why is it bad to make another OS partition on the same drive?
because to get your windows 10 key you need to upgrade from a previous legit installation if you try to install a fresh copy to a blank hdd or separate empty partition you can't get activated. just upgrade to get your windows 10 key using CMD, find out they key, downgrade back to windows 7, and install 10 again using another HDD/partition and activate it.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because to get your windows 10 key you need to upgrade from a previous legit installation if you try to install a fresh copy to a blank hdd or separate empty partition you can't get activated. just upgrade to get your windows 10 key using CMD, find out they key, downgrade back to windows 7, and install 10 again using another HDD/partition and activate it.

Still wary as heck, and I don't know the command to get the key, so I can use Speccy instead to use it :P I assume that I would need to burn the ISO to a blank disc before I install it, right? My internet connection is wonky since it's Ethernet over power line, maybe I can try it on my laptop first to see how to do it properly. :D

Edit: Do I update using that little Windows icon on the bottom of my screen or burn an ISO image? Once I roll back to 7, how do I then install it to the 2nd HDD?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Still wary as heck, and I don't know the command to get the key, so I can use Speccy instead to use it :P I assume that I would need to burn the ISO to a blank disc before I install it, right? My internet connection is wonky since it's Ethernet over power line, maybe I can try it on my laptop first to see how to do it properly. :D

Edit: Do I update using that little Windows icon on the bottom of my screen or burn an ISO image? Once I roll back to 7, how do I then install it to the 2nd HDD?
I burned an iso, so I could format my main partition (corrupted os a few days ago lol thanksfully my files weren't lost) an get a fresh install here :)

Reactions: the_randomizer

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your over thinking all of this go here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 run it and upgrade while keeping files and setting, confirm 10 is active and grab the key using speccy, roll back to windows 7 (windows 10 has an option for it), install windows 10 to a second HDD or partition by creating a USB/DVD and activate it using the windows 10 key.

All of this is way over the top when you can just upgrade and lose no files/setting/compatability

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I upgraded and it feels like Windows 7 with a weird Start Menu. Nothing that caught my eye really, but then again I use Ubuntu as my main OS so I wasn't planning on using Windows 10 on a daily-basis. At least that Metro UI nonsense is hidden now.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I upgraded and it feels like Windows 7 with a weird Start Menu. Nothing that caught my eye really, but then again I use Ubuntu as my main OS so I wasn't planning on using Windows 10 on a daily-basis. At least that Metro UI nonsense is hidden now.
This, is why I never updated to windows 8 lol.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your over thinking all of this go here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 run it and upgrade while keeping files and setting, confirm 10 is active and grab the key using speccy, roll back to windows 7 (windows 10 has an option for it), install windows 10 to a second HDD or partition by creating a USB/DVD and activate it using the windows 10 key.

All of this is way over the top when you can just upgrade and lose no files/setting/compatability

To sum up:

- Update to Windows 10 via the update tool (little windows logo at bottom-right of desktop)
- Choose custom installation and to keep all files and programs
- Run Speccy to grab the key (copying it or screenshot it and upload image to Google Drive)
- Downgrade to Windows 7 (I assume that everything will be 100% as it was before)
- Then I can install Windows 10 on the second HDD without data as soon as I burn an ISO to a disc

Seems simple enough :P Thanks ^_^

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To sum up:

- Update to Windows 10 via the update tool (little windows logo at bottom-right of desktop)
- Choose custom installation and to keep all files and programs
- Run Speccy to grab the key (copying it or screenshot it and upload image to Google Drive)
- Downgrade to Windows 7 (I assume that everything will be 100% as it was before)
- Then I can install Windows 10 on the second HDD without data as soon as I burn an ISO to a disc

Seems simple enough :P Thanks ^_^
No use the tool I linked
but yeah thats about the whole plan

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Windows 8 wasnt bad all you had to do was set it to boot straight to desktop and install something like Start8
My current windows 7 install was too deeply implemented to think about this. But now, I am updating to this new windows version, so much stuff and features I may like :P

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'd say burning an ISO and upgrading that way is your best bet. Don't try to update through any other means, especially through Windows Update, as you might get fed up with all the errors that occur because of it (like me).

So far with my laptop, the only problem I have with Windows 10 is that AMD's Catalyst installer won't install display drivers because it doesn't recognize what I have (which is an old Lenovo z575 with an A6-3400M APU). With Windows 8.1, the same suite release (15.7.1) recognized it (at least I think it did), so I found it odd that it wasn't recognized under Win10. Maybe I just need to give them some time. At the moment though, display drivers from Windows Update comes from AMD, released on 7/7/15, so for the moment, I'll settle with that. Do still plan to do a fresh install now that I got the license key from the upgrade, but I need time to back up my stuff.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No use the tool I linked

Maybe I worded it badly. That tool on that site? Gotcha.

I update via that tool on the website you linked me, choosing to keep all programs/files
Grab the key once Windows 10 is verified
Rollback to Windows 7 (and pray that it will be exactly as it was before the update)
Then burn Windows 10 to a disc and update that to a second HDD.

Are there any programs that are uninstalled at all during the upgrade and rollback to 7? I don't want to reinstall any program during the to and from.

I'd say burning an ISO and upgrading that way is your best bet. Don't try to update through any other means, especially through Windows Update, as you might get fed up with all the errors that occur because of it (like me).

So far with my laptop, the only problem I have with Windows 10 is that AMD's Catalyst installer won't install display drivers because it doesn't recognize what I have (which is an old Lenovo z575 with an A6-3400M APU). With Windows 8.1, the same suite release (15.7.1) recognized it (at least I think it did), so I found it odd that it wasn't recognized under Win10. Maybe I just need to give them some time. At the moment though, display drivers from Windows Update comes from AMD, released on 7/7/15, so for the moment, I'll settle with that. Do still plan to do a fresh install now that I got the license key from the upgrade, but I need time to back up my stuff.

Will I still be able to do that method as listed above? Go to 10, grab the key, back to 7 and install to another HDD though?

Now I'm confused,

Do I update via the tool or ISO image on a disc? :wacko:

Last edited by the_randomizer,

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
without providing a link or info , im pretty sure for 30 days after the upgrade , you can roll back to your previous OS should u care too.. imk having isssues with my sons laptop and have rolled it back to win8 twice now..

loco365

Trophies
XP
Windows 8 wasnt bad all you had to do was set it to boot straight to desktop and install something like Start8
I personally would have done that, but the problem I have with third-party programs is that I've tried other third party programs and have pickled Windows to the point that a Safe Mode boot was all I could do to uninstall the offending program because regular Windows was far too unstable.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found a bug its not huge but can get annoying for a music freak like me.
While playing a FLAC file using groove music bringing up the audio properties of the song being played gives an error (sometimes) stating the item is being used by another application.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone able to fit the iso on a 4gb USB drive? I'm using Rufus but I got an insufficient space error. The iso is 3.70gb (3986534400 bytes) and my 4gb is 3.73gb (4008706048 bytes) so it's really cutting close lol

Edit: Nevermind. after a second attempt and looking on Google, it seems like it is cutting too close :(

Last edited by samiam144,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: