Will this be the norm?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by directive0, Jan 7, 2007.

Jan 7, 2007

Will this be the norm? by directive0 at 7:24 AM (879 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. directive0
    OP

Member directive0 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Okay, in most of the release titles I've played if I really pay attention on maps with alot of detail, I notice a small level of "appearing" objects and characters just outside the view of the player. They just sorta pop into existance as you approach (and are usually always rendered after you notice the more complex models) I notice it most in excite truck, zelda, farcry, etc. Not griping, just a casual question. I'm new to console gaming, but I've been hanging out on the PC since my old NES packed up in the early 90's so I'm no stranger to this phenomenon, it just seems unpolished.

Will this be the norm, or should I chock most of it up to these being relatively early and unprecedented releases?

2. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    are you sure its not just you or your cables?

3. directive0
    OP

Canada
    I dont see how what cable I'm using could cause rendering phenomenon, but I will look into that I guess... In any case its not something that bothers me outright, I just want to know how common it is in the console gaming field.

4. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Popups. Nothing new. Most prominent in racing games, where bits of scenery appear out of nowhere as you approaach them. I think this will be limited to a) early releases, and b) crappy half-assed later ones. Others will find ways of avoiding it, be it better coding, or just different level design.

5. directive0
    OP

Canada
    That was exactly what I was looking for, thanks Veho.

6. dg10050

Member dg10050 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's called draw distance. Basically developers make it so that objects that are far away from the camera view and not very noticable to the player are rendered with less detail or aren't rendered at all. This way they can use more detail in the objects that are closer to the player and more likely to be noticed.