Will the upcoming update break the browser?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by castigear, Dec 2, 2016.

1. castigear
    OP

castigear Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2014
    United States
    The question is pretty much in the title. I have tubehax but I am concerned I won't be able to use the browser exploit when the update comes out.

2. Aletron9000

Aletron9000 3DS Master

May 10, 2016
    United States
    3DS ARM9 CPU
    Well, it might still work, it might not,can't tell until it is released. And where did you here a new update will come out soon?

3. Gary Hamilton

Gary Hamilton GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2016
    Update is there going to be a new 1? do you have source?

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Absconditus

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    *reads crystal ball*

Too soon to tell, ask again another day.

DeslotlCL, AboodXD, Raylight and 2 others like this.
  5. proflayton123

proflayton123 Sakura思い

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Ghassen-ga, ARVI80, Brawl345 and 2 others like this.
  6. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    But a compatible DS game and get Haxchi. You won't need browser exploits to get into homebrew anymore.

DarkJediRey likes this.
  7. DarkJediRey

DarkJediRey GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2016
    United States
    As always, do not update until it has been confirmed safe to do so. either block updates with dns, url filtering, or do not set up a connection at all it you want to be extra cautious.
    but it's been close to a year w/o an update...but then again, it could always happen
    And yeah, go the Haxchi route.
    PS i think Kirby Mass Attack is still $4.99

Last edited by DarkJediRey, Dec 2, 2016
    Pook and Pie likes this.
  8. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    yes of course

Autz, zeldaism, Kohmei and 1 other person like this.
  9. karloz25

karloz25 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    So, since Haxchi is installed to the Nand, is this permanent? So any new update shouldnt mess with that right?

10. Irastris

Irastris Just another fag with a suggestive avatar

May 3, 2015
    United States
    Not unless a new update was able to detect the tampered rom.zip of your chosen DS title, no.

11. castigear
    OP

castigear Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2014
    United States
    Gotcha. I already had haxchi installed in sysnand, but I have been using rednand for everything but wii vc games, as I am the overly cautious sort. I had it set up to automatically boot to fw.img, but I just changed it to boot to homebrew loader to make it more versatile. Wasn't sure if it would work in Rednand too, but turns out it does because I installed the ds game before I made my rednand image..so I didn't have to make any changes at all (I had installed it to usb). So I am good to go and 100% offline.

12. buhdiego

buhdiego Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2016
    Brazil
    Maceió-AL
    I think ninty can block patches in the future update... so... Maybe you can still load the haxchi game but couldn't be able to load the exploit, causing the game to freeze or, with the best hopes, be stuck with the version you've uploaded... so, you will not be able to update the rom.zip as the wupserver would not load. Ninty surely will do the best to avoid new Zelda's game being pirated as it would affect the game sales and even delay the nintendo switch sales as most of the people are buying it on its launch to play the new zelda's game.

13. NeroAngelo

NeroAngelo Clueless Importer

Dec 31, 2003
    Libya
    eh, doubt they would go that far, i think they will just release a new Fw and require the game to use the new update.

14. buhdiego

buhdiego Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2016
    Brazil
    Maceió-AL
    I hope you're right, but i really don't doubt that... even if what they do is temporarily, for sure they woudn't put in risk their sales...

remember that after the 5.5.x update, we weren't able for so much time to run exploits... people always telling us to keep in 5.3.2 firmware and stuff... I really hope you're right but ninty has been silent for too long, probably because they don't want to release an early update so hackers could brake its security in time for new zelda's game piracy.

NeroAngelo likes this.
  15. Fotonick

Fotonick GBAtemp Regular

Apr 1, 2016
    For me there's a high probability that ninty will release a new fw before releasing Zelda BoTW...

16. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    The browser exploit works offline if you self host. Pointless thread Shirley?

17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Or you use the DNS method and/or blacklist. Why are people worried about something they can just block or not update? Seriously, if you block them, why worry?

NeroAngelo likes this.
  18. buhdiego

buhdiego Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2016
    Brazil
    Maceió-AL
    The question is not if we can block it or not... zelda's game will be released and we all want to play the game (I think... as i'm speaking for myself).. i'll probably buy it as i love zelda series... but, i'll have to update the wii u and i would like to know if I won't be able to play my previous pirated games because of that.... but for sure i also know that is too early to know that... just explaining that i understand his question and I don't think his worried in vain...

Yes, it works for the latest avaliable version of the firmware but we'll never know if it will work after we update (if this update will ever come out)... as self host and online host are the same exploits, the only difference is where they're hosted.