Hacking Discussion Will SXOS dominate Switch CFW scene?

Will SXOS dominate Switch CFW scene?

• Yes, with emuNAND and XCI loading

Votes: 84 52.8%
  • No, please wait for Atmosphere to catch up

Votes: 75 47.2%

• Total voters

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gateway 3DS started out strong in the 3DS scene until the community devs passed them. I wouldn't be shocked to see the same happen in the Switch scene in the future.

Gibdos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well this is going to be a shitshow of a topic. But before the toxic tribalism starts, let me offer my opinion.
So far it seems that SX OS is the most complete and easy to use CFW for Switch. And it might stay that way for a little while longer.
But sooner than later simple compilations like SDSetup or ReiNX will take the lead, simply because they are free.

Until then I will use whichever does what I want my Switch to do. Sometimes that's SX OS, and sometimes I take a look at Atmopshere, ReiNX or whatever. At the moment I very much enjoy SX OS for its built-in cheat support and FTP. Might take a gander at the EmuNAND, too.

D

Deleted-442439

Not really.

SX has been making some commendable developments lately ahead of the free alternatives, but the features they currently have such as emunand, XCI loading and usb loading is all stuff being worked on by the community.

With emunand being very close to release. I think we will see a point when the "free" scene catches up and surpasses SX, but right now although I hate saying this, SX is actually the best alternative for the end user. However for the "power user" ReiNX and Atmospheres greater customizability and modular design philosophy make them subjectively better depending on use case.

Last edited by ,

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Well, people love free things, that's for sure. So I believe there will be a point in time, where the free alternatives become maybe not as good as SX Pro, but at least comparable in some way. And that will be the time where free alternatives or some certain alternative will take over. But I think that you won't the the 3DS flip over, where one certain solution becomes _the_ standard for the whole scene. Paid and unpaid solutions will still be relevant in the future.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Gateway 3DS started out strong in the 3DS scene until the community devs passed them. I wouldn't be shocked to see the same happen in the Switch scene in the future.
While this makes some sense. The difference between Gateway and SX is that you don't need dedicated hardware for SX. Just a license and their software. It's featured, even if using someone else's software. Everything you need to run the software is in the package. TomGER with his zip files, though.. Maybe free will be the better option overall.

Reactions: isoisoiso

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, "dominating" is very much exaggerated since free CFW is fully functional without these.

Secondly, is it that much of a surprise to you that when someone gets paid, they deliver more? Scene devs just do it as their hobby and own challenge and are under no pressure whatsoever. We are grateful that they release everything for free in the first place.

Aniblaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not really.

SX has been making some commendable developments lately ahead of the free alternatives, but the features they currently have such as emunand, XCI loading and usb loading is all stuff being worked on by the community.

With emunand being very close to release. I think we will see a point when the "free" scene catches up and surpasses SX, but right now although I hate saying this, SX is actually the best alternative for the end user. However for the "power user" ReiNX and Atmospheres greater customizability and modular design philosophy make them subjectively better depending on use case.
Can you give some examples of the greater customizability and modular design offered by ReiNX and Atmosphere as opposed to SX OS in a usecase? Considering SX OS can load NRO files as well, homebrew can be loaded up without a hitch.

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is absolutely no way this thread doesn't turn into a shouting match.

I hate these threads because you're just asking everyone to state their opinion (which for whatever reason, is an extremely strong opinion on the topic of SX vs. Other Devs) and most people here don't care to debate things in a civil way.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I switched off of SXOS when custom nsps just did not work on it. But now that they are releasing all of these new features... I might end up switching back. It didn't feel like there was a point to move back since I dont use xci's, but now that HDD support is here (and now even homebrew hdd support) plus SD card emunand.... I might flash a clean built nand and load SXOS up!! Crazy!

Its gonna be hard to keep up with a private paid cfw atm, but I feel like everything will catch up eventually. Maybe not RIGHT now but "soon™"

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I hate these threads because you're just asking everyone to state their opinion (which for whatever reason, is an extremely strong opinion on the topic of SX vs. Other Devs) and most people here don't care to debate things in a civil way.
Some people can't mentally handle that someone else has a different opinion... I wish it wasn't the case. No offense to the people that flip out of course. This thread will most likely get locked sooner or later though...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you give some examples of the greater customizability and modular design offered by ReiNX and Atmosphere as opposed to SX OS in a usecase? Considering SX OS can load NRO files as well, homebrew can be loaded up without a hitch.
The only thing that makes me hesitant to switch back to SXOS is no use of custom kips. Thats about it. You hear me @garyopa !!!

kkcheong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
can I ask why you feel the need to make this thread? You very well know it will most likely turn in to a flamewar.
With emuNAND on SD, I would like to gauge the acceptance of gbatempers of paid CFW whether that now more willing to pay or is free option still more viable in the future.

Also in other SXOS thread (on the main page) seems like less trolls. So I was thinking, maybe there's some changes.

Last edited by kkcheong,

Thetoto

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Custom sys modules
Custom various patchs

Reactions: Lumince

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I don't think its been too bad at the moment , it's been a lot worse in other threads.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends. If they maintain at least feature parity going into the future, then they'll likely retain the "Plug-and-Play" audience with their SX Pro. In such a sitatuation, the standalone SX OS will likely die off however. If they eventually abandon it, like the Gateway team did, then it's a bit hard to say. The dongle itself would still be useful for other payloads, so it might stick around even then. SX OS would be even more dead than in the other option though. And if they can keep a lead... well, I wouldn't even bother considering that possibility. At some point in the future, they'll either run out of features to add or it won't be profitable for them to work on the switch any longer.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,

JawhnL5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's my personal opinion, which may or may not be based on incorrect information; feel free to correct me about anything that I may be incorrect about here!

I started off on SX OS when Switch CFW was just starting to take off; I imagine this is also the case for a lot of other people. It should be noted that what SX OS can do, it does well. Truth be told, I've never taken advantage of the .xci loading that SX OS is capable of doing, and I've also not yet taken advantage of the support for EmuNAND, but it ran all of my homebrew applications without a hitch, and the support from TX is very good. But this is to be expected from a paid product. I myself did not purchase SX Pro; just the license for SX OS, and I use my phone to send the payload whenever needed, coupled with AutoRCM installed via SDFiles/Hekate.

And with that said, I can completely understand why it is that people might just bite the bullet and purchase SX Pro/SX OS strictly for the convenience factor; especially with the SX Pro dongle, it is very painless to get up & running. Free solutions such as SDFiles & ReiNX I believe will get to that point though, but the dongle of SX Pro is very intriguing for those who may not be able to use their phone to push a payload when needed, might not even want AutoRCM, might not want to "gamble" with cheaper payload dongle alternatives, etc. You really have to look at it from all perspectives when considering why it is that people pay for the things that they do, when cheaper or even free alternatives may not be far away.

Having said that, I am currently running ReiNX. Ultimately, I lost nothing when switching from SX OS to ReiNX as I did not utilize .xci loading or EmuNAND, as stated previously. The ability to load custom sysmodules & custom patches is what really got me to switch over, and also just because I trust Reisyukaku a lot since I was using ReiNAND on my 3DS for the longest time, so perhaps I am a bit biased? I'm honestly not too sure, but I really have no issues with SX OS & TX. I am well aware that they are not very liked around here, but again, it is important to understand that everybody has their reasoning for just purchasing a solution like SX Pro/SX OS, and it does its job well. Is TX perhaps shady in some regards? Sure! I don't doubt that; but this ENTIRE scene is somewhat shady at the moment...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
While this makes some sense. The difference between Gateway and SX is that you don't need dedicated hardware for SX. Just a license and their software. It's featured, even if using someone else's software. Everything you need to run the software is in the package. TomGER with his zip files, though.. Maybe free will be the better option overall.
I should really clarify what I actually mean. What I am actually more concerned about would their dedication and longevity of the SX team and their product. The Gateway team's downfall wasn't their flashcart, in fact, .3DS ROM loading from their cart was what really kept people using the Gateway 3DS. What killed the Gateway team was their lack of dedication to the community and them slowly relying on "beta" updates until they eventually gave up on Gateway 3DS and moved on. The SX team literally started out stumbling and have already started to show a lot of similarities to what happened to the Gateway 3DS team. It makes me wonder just how much this pattern is going to repeat and if they are just a few exploits away from ending up like the Gateway team.

Last edited by The Catboy,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I should really clarify what I actually mean. What I am actually more concerned about would their dedication and longevity of the SX team and their product. The Gateway team's downfall wasn't their flashcart, in fact, .3DS ROM loading from their cart was what really kept people using the Gateway 3DS. What killed the Gateway team was their lack of dedication to the community and them slowly relying on "beta" updates until they eventually gave up on Gateway 3DS and moved on. The SX team literally started out stumbling and have already started to show a lot of similarities to what happened to the Gateway 3DS team. It makes me wonder just how much this pattern is going to repeat and if they are just a few exploits away from ending up like the Gateway team.
I've seen some rumors that the Gateway team very much can be the TX team. I do see the possibility behind it, and since how close both are linked with Maxconsole and Garys company. I can see why people jumped to that conclusion, but time will tell how well SXOS will be. I mean they steal without remorse anyway so they could easily implement the features as well.

As long as the software is better than the free alternative, people will keep using SXOS. We all saw the pattern until RXTools came about and it really exploded once ReiNAND got released.

Reactions: The Catboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over