Will someone with Sky3DS test this for me?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by LogicBrain, Jul 12, 2015.

1. LogicBrain
    OP

LogicBrain Banned

Banned
    Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    So I was just wondering today if somebody with Sky3DS would help me test this.

I wonder if you put DevMenu (which they have a .3ds file for) on Sky3DS and had formatted it to install .CIAs if it would. Now this being said there is a YouTuber who has a .Cia file for the 9.2 internet browser on it. If this would work, in theory shouldn't you be able to go to the go.gateway-3ds.com link and back up your system nand and downgrade with it? I am new to the hacking scene and don't know much about it. I don't know if the internet browser allowed you to downgrade or if it was the system firmware itself.

However this might brick your 3ds but again I am new so I have no idea.

In order to do this you would need a 3DS running firmware where you couldn't do this anymore and a Sky3ds aswell as the will to do it.

Again anybody who could or have already tested this let me know I would be very grateful.

2. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    The dev menu is not in the sky template there for will not work

3. LogicBrain
    OP

LogicBrain Banned

Banned
    Jul 12, 2015
    United States
    OK thank you.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Besides that, it would require signature check patched CFW to work even if it was in the template (hence would only work on 9.2 or below) as sky3ds on its own only works with correctly signed and encrypted roms.

5. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    I wonder if it's possible to play edited games with the Sky3ds using cfw

6. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Germany
    Munich
    Well if you have access to a CFW then there's not even any need to use the Sky3DS, unless you're using NTR CFW (for cheats or other plugins) which doesn't patch signature checks (i. e. doesn't allow piracy through the installation of CIA files)

7. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    It can still be convenient to play games in .3ds format, so I was just curious.

8. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    The Sky3DS pretends to be a legitimate cartridge. It'll only work for software that exists as a retail cartridge.

9. foolalay

foolalay GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    It was more of a hypothetical "if the sig checks for cartridges were disabled and we could add games to the template, could we load fan translations in .3ds on a Sky3ds?" I know it's kind of pointless, since it's so easy to just install .cias, but I was just thinking about if it was possible or not. (Sorry for going off topic, OP.)

Quantumcat likes this.
  10. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
    would trimming the ROM pose more susceptibility to a ban?