Will Nintendo Release a 2DS XL?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by superspudz2000, Oct 12, 2013.

?

will you wait and buy a 2DS XL?

1. yes, im gonna wait for the XL version

37.5%
  2. cant wait, i need 2DS now!

15.0%
  3. 2DS looks stupid to me

55.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. superspudz2000
    OP

superspudz2000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 23, 2007
    Canada
    maybe some of you tech insiders know if nintendo will eventually release an XL version of the 2DS. should i wait and see?

[​IMG]

2. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    2DS is already XL sized.

Parasite X likes this.
  3. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    lol, no it isn't. I have one.

I expected it to be smaller than photographs lead on, but it still surprised me with its compactness.

4. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    There wont be a 2DS XL ever. The purpose of the 2DS was to appeal to younger audiences along with ppl who do not like the 3D feature at a modest price. Making a 2DS XL would defeat the purpose of the 2DS in the first place. It would cost the same as about a regular 3DS. Also, do you see how tall it is? If it gets any bigger the button placement would be disasterous.

2DS = Value - For people who dislike the 3D feature and don't mind the lack of hinges. By far the worst is travel accessability but is easily the most wallet friendly.
    3DS = Compact - For people who want a console on the go and are turned off by the bigger screens of the XL
    3DS XL = Larger - For people who want a higher end model with bigger screens/size (also more comfortable to hold at the price of not being able to travel as well as the normal 3DS).

DinohScene, Fuzzeh and Arm73 like this.
  5. superspudz2000
    OP

Aug 23, 2007
    Canada
    i imagine they could make an 2DS XL about the size of a Wii U controller, just add touchscreen. nobody has complained about the Wii U yet. obviously it wouldent be best for travel, but neither is the 3DS XL or DSiXL compared to the 3DS and DSi.

but for people who like to keep a handheld by the bedside table or in living room, while your family watch TV, it would be great.

6. superspudz2000
    OP

Aug 23, 2007
    Canada
    [​IMG]

RyanWW likes this.
  7. RyuKisargi

RyuKisargi GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2009
    United States
    I see them releasing a 2DS XL.

8. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I'd buy that for a dollar!

Anyway, I doubt they'd put out a 2DSXL, for one thing you'd have to be Andre the giant to reach the LR buttons if they did.

9. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    In my opinion, I wouldn't get a 2ds xl if nintendo actually made one, but I wonder what the next system will be? 1DS? lol jk

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's not a bad idea... but no news on that front, or even rumours for that matter. The 2DS is considered the value model of the system - if you want the bigger, better package then you should invest in a 3DS XL.

I edited the title because it implied a pending release, I think this one better reflects the content of the thread. ;)

11. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I already have a 2DS and it's perfectly fine for me, the thing that made me purchase was the tablet-look of it and the screens were about right for me.

I didn't really like how big the screens were on 3DS XL because the games weren't made for those resolutions anyway.

12. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    That thing does not need to get any bigger

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  13. p3rand0r

p3rand0r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2014
    Albania
    On the ⌨
    dont think so, its a bugged console from nintendo and that will make it more expensive :unsure:

14. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    It could happen but it would look funny since the L/R buttons are on top meaning the buttons/slider/dpad would all be really high up, and the unused space under the dpad would be even larger.

But if they do make one, it should have two speakers, micro USB charging, and the dpad and slider should be switched.

Its screen sizes are identical to 3DS.

15. bartimeaus91

bartimeaus91 Stanza Blot Burls Rocks. Meaningless? Maybe not.

Banned
    Apr 4, 2014
    United States
    So what's next? 2DS XL and then 2DS Micro?

16. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    If anything, a 3DS XLI is most likely. :lol:

:lol:

They could have the buttons pop out in the middle of the back.

Not going to happen.

17. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    The L/R buttons could be like triggers. See Dreamcast and Xbox controller, you can't see the triggers so they are essentially behind the controller rather than on top

But then the underside of 2DS XL would no longer be flat. It could work if the 2DS XL was designed quasi like a controller.

Attached Files:

18. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    Which is probably why we won't see a 2DS XL. If they were even considering the possibility, they should have released an XL to begin with. From my experience, anyone who has tried an XL won't go back to the regular screen size, which makes the basic version obsolete in a way, as XLs are commonly considered better. Either way, I see 2DS as a product for kids. The effects 3D has on undeveloped eyes haven't been researched enough, so 2D is a safe choice, and a smaller device is better suited for small hands. With that in mind, I doubt we'll ever see a 2DS XL, but then again, who knows? If market research shows potential profit, we might get one after all.

19. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    2DS still looks like a joke to me honestly.

Brian117 likes this.
  20. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    no
    I want a new Game Boy