funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive read theres no hack for boot, but I was wondering If eventually it would be possible to flash the CFW to the sysnand so on bootup the exploit would work. I know this is currently unavailable but will it ever be available in the future? Why will this never be possible?

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the answer is "no" , because the "CFW" only works because the checks are removed by usage of an exploit (?), while the one on sysNAND, the same cannot be done.

But I do not understand it correctly so please take it with a bucket of salt. :P

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I think the answer is "no" , because the "CFW" only works because the checks are removed by usage of an exploit (?), while the one on sysNAND, the same cannot be done.

But I do not understand it correctly so please take it with a bucket of salt. :P
yeah your pretty much there, atm there is no known exploits that work at bootup, so if you try modify anything in sysnand you will either brick your 3DS or just do nothing positive, unless a exploit is found that is triggered on bootup all CFW's will be tied to being triggered elsewhere i.e CN,OOT,MSET,Browser

unless a new exploit is found that is triggered on boot, or someone stumbles upon the signing keys for the 3DS it will always have to be triggered via some other route

Reactions: MrJason005

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bootloader is read-only and cannot be modified. The bootloader contains checks to make sure that the System Software it's about to load has a valid signature from Nintendo. The only way to be able to install a custom firmware or any other code as sysNand would be to get a hold of Nintendo's private keys and sign it, so the bootloader will willingly run it. A concentrated, distributed computing brute-force effort MIGHT be able to get the keys within a decade or two... And that's probably more likely to happen than getting it from Nintendo somehow.

The only reason we're able to do anything with the system right now is because bugs were found that allow us to break that Chain of Trust, getting unsigned code to run (whether through the NVRAM exploit, the browser exploit, Cubic Ninja, or Zelda: OoT), and from there we can move on to custom firmwares and other fun things. But since that Chain of Trust starts from the system powering on, we have to get to an exploitable point each time before we can get to our code.

Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...