Hardware Will I get problems replacing my Wii drive?

Rummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted a thread a while back that got no responses, but I'm cutting it down and posting something slightly different here. I also posted my original in the wrong place.

Essentially, I have a launch date Wii(UK PAL) but I think my drive's got problems and might damage my discs over time. If I go out and procure myself a brand new Wii, open both Wiis up and swap the drives round, will I get any problems? Like, will the drive from a brand new wii just work with my launch Wii, or not? Basically I think I need a new drive, but not sure if I Nintendo will fix it, so I'm going to like that, but thus don't wanna lose all my Wii's data etc, hence why I'm not just getting a new one. Plus I might be able to get just a drive out of a new Wii for cheaper than I otherwise would.

Oh yeah, if I can't get a new wii/new wii's drive, wheres the best place to get them?

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
buy it from wal-mart or sams club and swap the drives then return the product, free wii dvd drive replacement. sams will take a product back no questions asked. it should work with no issues, as long as you do it carefully. im pretty sure they are all interchangable but you want to make sure you get a new drive that reads DVD-Rs

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You won't have any problems; DVD drives can be universally swapped (you can replace DMS with D3 and such).

The only downside is D3-2 drives cannot play disc backups, and all new Wiis come with this drive.

Rummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
buy it from wal-mart or sams club and swap the drives then return the product, free wii dvd drive replacement. sams will take a product back no questions asked. it should work with no issues, as long as you do it carefully. im pretty sure they are all interchangable but you want to make sure you get a new drive that reads DVD-Rs

Well, I'm from the UK(hence the UK PAL Wii
tongue.gif
) but I'm planning to do something along those lines, with the aid of a friend in a shop somewhere, wanted to make sure the drives are all swappable before I got the ball rolling though.

As for not playing DVD-Rs, that's cool enough, I don't use backups anyway. Just use HBC for old school emulation and for playing my imports. I was nearly forced too close into the actual means of Wii piracy with this, but I'm staving to stay off of it atm. I presume it's pretty possible to do anything drive/dvd-r based with usb stuff anyway? I don't foresee ever needing it, but just considering to keep my options open.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh