Homebrew Will dumping a cartridge ruin it?

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Dumping it as in throwing it in the trash, sure, but there's literally NO reason whatsoever for dumping to cause any sort of problems to the original, how did you even get such an idea? Dumping is literally just copying something, even if you had the priviledges to write onto cartridges, dumping still wouldn't involve that, so it's always exactly as safe as copying any other file from one directory to another.

Reactions: CoolStarDood

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way dumping your cartridge would ruin it is if you dumped it in some water...or garbage...or acid...or...

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The only way dumping your cartridge would ruin it is if you dumped it in some water...or garbage...or acid...or...
Meh, water doesn't really ruin electronics, especially cartridges, just dry it and it works fine:P

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why on earth would it ruin it lol.

You laugh but I one ruined a rented copy of Secret of Evermore by dumping it on my Smart Bros copier. Dunno why, but it somehow messed up the sram. I ripped dozens if not hundreds of SNES and Genesis games on both this and my MGH before that, and while most worked perfectly fine as roms, a few wouldn't save properly as a rom or some other minor error, this was the only one that did this on the cart itself afterward. A year later, I tried to rent it again to try redumping it and they didn't have it anymore, saying someone had returned it saying it didn't work, whoops...

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I didn't know if it could write to the cartridge
According to the GBAtemp wiki "Card2" 3DS games exists that have only one (flash?)chip for the game and the save which means in theory the game could be overwritten. (Or does the cartridge prevent writing outside the dedicated save area??)

Dumping the cartridges is - in my opinion - a good idea because nobody knows how durable/long-lived such 3DS games are ("data retention") opposed to "real" ROM chips (used in carts for older consoles and - as far as I know - Switch games again) which are already proven to last LOOONG, even under really bad storage conditions; in this case even the save on (EEPROM or flash?) survived.

Anyway: GodMode9 will never even attempt to overwrite the data when reading a cartridge. Why should it even try?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
According to the GBAtemp wiki "Card2" 3DS games exists that have only one (flash?)chip for the game and the save which means in theory the game could be overwritten. (Or does the cartridge prevent writing outside the dedicated save area)
Obviously Nintendo made it so as only the dedicated save area can be written to. Otherwise you could have just wiped all data off the cart then copied a completely different game to it.

Pop_Steam69

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dumping it as in throwing it in the trash, sure, but there's literally NO reason whatsoever for dumping to cause any sort of problems to the original, how did you even get such an idea? Dumping is literally just copying something, even if you had the priviledges to write onto cartridges, dumping still wouldn't involve that, so it's always exactly as safe as copying any other file from one directory to another.
I think for me it raised confusion as the term “dump” sounds like you transfer the file from the cartridge to the sd card, I’m pretty new to this so as a non-tech person this makes sense

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think for me it raised confusion as the term “dump” sounds like you transfer the file from the cartridge to the sd card, I’m pretty new to this so as a non-tech person this makes sense
From the choice of words you used. no. You are Copying the ROM from the cart to the sd. Not transfering it sinces its a 'read only memory' item.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Flame hey!!!!