Hacking Wiiu Nand Dump

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You also have to dump the 2nd NAND if you want to switch between versions since it is a dual 512MB NAND, one "side" for Wii U the other for vWii.
Dumping this NAND is a lot harder though.
Does it matter if I don't restore the vWii NAND? Would it brick the Wii U part?

hashcheck1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is Vwii nand dump via Vwii nanddumper app? Also to confirm you have to backup both wiiu nand + Vwii nand together and flash both that are on same fw. Ie Vwii 5.4 and wiiu 5.4fw. And then Vwii 5.5 & wiiu 5.5fw

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
You also have to dump the 2nd NAND if you want to switch between versions since it is a dual 512MB NAND, one "side" for Wii U the other for vWii.
Dumping this NAND is a lot harder though.

It can be dumped and restored using vwii softmods though.

Although of course, that won't protect people against vwii bricks. But theoretically it could still be restored from Wii U mode.

hashcheck1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If on 5.4fw and do vwii nand back up via soft mods and nand wiiu backup and then you update to 5.5fw.
If then downgrade wiiu nand to 5.4 backup and Vwii nand is on current 5.5 will you be able to boot into Vwii mode to downgrade that nand or will that cause issues. Assuming there's changes to isos in Vwii

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ok but how do you backup vWii? Where is the guide?

Also what about the contents of external USB drive? Are those affected during restore? Do I have to backup games updates or saves from external drive?

Moving all saves updates and games to external drive is a good move before backing up the NAND?

Last edited by stsaerox,

Seelbreaker

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok but how do you backup vWii? Where is the guide?

Also what about the contents of external USB drive? Are those affected during restore? Do I have to backup games updates or saves from external drive?

Moving all saves updates and games to external drive is a good move before backing up the NAND?
Wow... couldn't you atleast read the first page?...

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
https://www.reboot.ms/forum/threads/wiiu-nand-dump-backup-ripristino-via-hardware.283/

Guide found via cfwprophet / 173210

English thx cherry duck

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19YE0kOV88M3mjyo4spKlXLnXzKPk0Z5TqQDTAD9G5I0/mobilebasic

In process of doing mine and install microsd and cardreader... will update with pictures soon

Wow... couldn't you atleast read the first page?...

I'm asking for the vWii guide not Wii U nand.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heads up if good with soldering you can read and flash Vwii nand with a infectus chip.

An infectus will read and write just about any nand chip from my understanding, if you take the time to hook it up. People were dumping PS3 NAND's with it way before they were of any use to others. I think they did the same thing we're (or at least I am) trying here, to use what version you want. They ran into a problem with the syscon on PS3 though IIRC, which also knows what version the system should be on. It's been a while, though. But any how, those pinouts are for the original Wii, I'm not sure if the chips are the same or not. Crediar or someone would know more.

Infectus, you started in my life as a modchip for ps2, keep chugging! :beer:

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I tried to do it like they did and I double checked with a multimeter, the connections are good.
But the card doesn't get detected.

On WiiUBrew they are using all Data points and bridge a 50k resitor between Data3 and VCC to get the card to detect.

Has anyone tried anything so far anyways?

Reactions: Deleted User

hashcheck1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Like the new 3ds and o3ds emmc can be very picky with card readers. I use a Realtek chipset card reader and find its the most reliable. Checkout n3ds nand dump threaf

Reactions: Adr990

hashcheck1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hopefully 5.5fw exploit found one day. Have a 5.5fw nand backup but didn't know about nandmod until stupid wiiu updated. Will test downgrade once a new firmware is out.. if works like 3ds those with soldering experience will be able to easily keep exploit nand and latest nand and flash between

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Like the new 3ds and o3ds emmc can be very picky with card readers. I use a Realtek chipset card reader and find its the most reliable. Checkout n3ds nand dump threaf
Could you link me which one you've bought? :)

--- Edit: ---
Ok, I've purchased this one:
Anker USB 3.0 Card Reader 8 in 1

Once I get it in the mail I can test it again.
Did you use the WiiUBrew method, or the one from Reboot.ms?

--- Edit 2: ---
Time for some pictures, while waiting for the new card reader...
I removed my old set up, which was a bit different, along with a lot of hot glue. But it was no biggy, gotta love hot glue. :)

Now I've set up the following new 'dual' set up: (WiiUBrew and reboot.ms method... no hot glue)
lBuPwhx.jpg

7PTa8SN.jpg

3uBOaiU.jpg

94OHWv4.jpg

ZbfiSuC.jpg

92QYrDb.jpg

lLsPDkU.jpg

zmXRRE9.jpg

5ToRLxf.jpg

J7KIPyo.jpg

c1amTSL.jpg

n7NJ0u2.jpg

The hole in the shield was made so I could test the points with my Multimeter for the set up I had on the other side.. the one with a lot of hot glue. :P

The purple, white and brown wire are there to make the mod complete according to WiiUbrew.
Therefore there also is a 50k resistor connected between vcc and Data3 on the SD Card.

--- Edit 3: ---
Closing it up:
Vgb8QDn.jpg

DtZmfJs.jpg

HwQ0uCR.jpg

The wire is bit long, so to make the sliding cover I have to modify the case some more or think of something else to make it 'stealth'. :) (Like I actually had before)

--- Edit 4: ---
Where can I get a Infectus NAND dumper in the EU?
I would like to make/restore a Wii NAND dump too, to make downgrading possible?

--- Edit 5: ---
@hashcheck1
I saw over here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-nand-backup-possible-i-hope.381506/page-38#post-5589987
That you also used a similar card reader like I have in my pictures. I know there are a few variants of this one, I just wonder If you also have the Intergral version of it?

And, ofcourse, does it work for you on the Wii U eMMC?

Last edited by Adr990,
Reactions: hashcheck1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1