Hacking WiiU Game Icons to Game Covers Script!

syntax53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before:
Photo Jul 12, 11 27 53 PM.jpg Photo Jul 12, 11 28 19 PM.jpg

After:
Photo Jul 23, 8 03 53 PM.jpg Photo Jul 23, 8 04 12 PM.jpg

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7q0gfb60thnbxi4/wiiu_icon_updater.7z?dl=1

How:
  • The first script I wrote can be used to convert an entire folder containing JPG's, PNG's, or other TGA's into the proper TGA icon format, including the footer text. That script is called, "wiiu_tga_convert.bat".
    • Requirements:
      • The included "tga_footer.bin" to put the footer on the end of the TGAs
      • ImageMagick (freeware). You will need to edit the wiiu_tga_convert.bat to put in the path to ImageMagick on your machine at the top of the batch.
    • Usage:
      • Edit 10/1/2018: You can now just execute "wiiu_tga_convert.bat" and it will prompt you for the options.
      • wiiu_tga_convert "c:\path\to\covers" "c:\path\to\place\TGAs"
  • I've included a folder in my distro titled, "TGAs" which already contains all of the US and EN "flat" covers downloaded from GameTDB.com and converted to TGAs for you. I included my conversion scripts for anyone needing other languages, wanting 3d covers, for other homebrew purposes, etc.
  • The second script is a powershell script called, "wiiu_ftp_icons.ps1". This script does many things, ultimately creating backups of the original icons on both your WiiU and locally on your PC as well as updating the icons on the WiiU with the matched game covers.
    • Requirements:
      • Powershell, obviously, along with the included PSFTP modules. Note that I had to modify these from the source as there were a number of incompatibilities with ftpiiu, namely the lack of support for the "SIZE" command.
      • Access to your WiiU's USB/NAND storage via FTP with ftpiiu_everywhere v0.4u2 (I downloaded it from the homebrew app store, make sure you get this version)
      • CBHC. I have CBHC and have no experience on the WiiU otherwise. I believe this is required for ftpiiu_everywhere anyway. Plus, I'm not sure what would happen if your WiiU booted up unpatched with replaced icons. Again, I have only had CBHC. I'll update this post if people inform me otherwise.
    • What it does:
      • The first thing the script does is to scan your chosen source's title folders (USB by default) and download all meta.xml files to your local computer. As it's doing this it (mostly) replicates the folder structure of your WiiU titles onto your local PC under a folder called, "wiiu_titles".
      • Next it reads all of those XMLs and determines the game id. As it's doing this it will check to see if a matching TGA icon is found within the "TGAs" folder. If one is found, the icon will be copied into the appropriate folder beneath "wiiu_titles".
      • Lastly, it will then scan your local "wiiu_titles" folder for any icons that have been matched. For any matched icons it will...
        1. Download the remote icon and save it (locally) within each title's folder as "iconTex.bak"
        2. Upload that "iconTex.bak" back to your WiiU for safe keeping, in case you accidentally delete the local copy.
        3. Only after a local backup and a remote backup have been verified will it upload a replacement icon.
      • I also have options in place to revert the changes. You can also choose to only update a single title or revert a single title which can be done by title name (requires the local XML files to be downloaded) or title id.
    • Usage:
      • Edit 12/5/2017: You can now just execute "_execute_wiiu_ftp_icons.bat" and it will walk you through the options.
      • powershell -f wiiu_ftp_icons.ps1 -ip 192.168.1.123 (default execution, replacing the IP with your WiiU's IP, obviously)
      • powershell -f wiiu_ftp_icons.ps1 -ip 192.168.1.123 -nand (operate on the NAND instead of USB)
      • powershell -f wiiu_ftp_icons.ps1 -ip 192.168.1.123 -single_title_id "101c9400" (update a single title by ID [only enter the last 8 characters])
      • powershell -f wiiu_ftp_icons.ps1 -ip 192.168.1.123 -single_title_name "lego city undercover" (update a single title by name)
      • powershell -f wiiu_ftp_icons.ps1 -ip 192.168.1.123 -single_title_name "super smash" -force (force update a single title by name)
      • powershell -f wiiu_ftp_icons.ps1 -ip 192.168.1.123 -single_title_name "zelda" -revert (revert all titles with "zelda" in the name. note this will actually give you the matching title IDs and then prompt you execute the script again providing each title id. I could change this in the future.)
      • powershell -f wiiu_ftp_icons.ps1 -ip 192.168.1.123 -revert (REVERT ALL WIIU ICONS BACK TO DEFAULT AND DELETE THE REMOTE BACKUPS)
      • Note: You may need to add the "-executionpolicy bypass" switch before the "-f" if your machine has restricted powershell policies turned on.
    • Notes:
      • If a local backup file exists, The script assumes the remote icon has been updated. This is to allow you to run the script multiple times without having to keep scanning the remote filesystem all the time, which is quite slow. This is where the "-force" command comes in the play. This will force an upload of the icons to the WiiU.
      • Local and remote icon backups will never be overwritten. This should preserve the ability to always retain the actual original icon file.
      • A revert operation will first verify a local backup exists or download it from the WiiU if one does not. It will then delete the remote icon and upload the original back. Lastly, once a new icon upload has been verified, it will delete the remote backup so no trace is left. The "RNTO" (rename to) command seems to be unsupported with ftpiiu, otherwise we could just rename the original.
      • I haven't actually tested the "-nand" switch other than verifying that it can scan my wiiu's structure, download the meta files, etc. I don't have any titles stored on my WiiU's nand. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work though as it's basically just a substitution in the path name from "/storage_usb/usr/title" to "/storage_mlc/usr/title". Everything else about it is exactly the same.

Last edited by syntax53,

syntax53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated to support ImageMagic v7 (v6 no longer supported). Also fixed some potential issues with paths in powershell. There could be some potential path issues with the batch file. I can convert to powershell if there is an issue and interest to do so.

Last edited by syntax53,
Reactions: yurgh

syntax53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some changes 11/19/17...
  • Added a "force" option to the TGA conversion batch script. It will now skip files that are already there and not re-convert them unless "force" is specified.
  • For the cover matching script, I added support for matching covers for GameCube games (GC games installed via injection/USB Helper).
  • Added a 'title_report' option which will list all of the titles installed on your WiiU, with an additional option to also list all DLC and Updates installed.
  • Added a cleanup portion where once it scans the WiiU it will scan the local cache and if it sees anything still present locally that has been deleted from the WiiU, it will give you the option of deleting those local folders.
  • Added some documentation to the top of the script.

syntax53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
12/5/17...
  • Added an "_execute_wiiu_ftp_icons.bat" which you can run to walk you through the different options.
  • Cleaned up the title report option, and it now exports to a text file.
  • Tweaked the force option for forcing icons to get updated
  • Added an option to override icons from the normal "TGAs" folder with anything placed into a "TGA_Override" folder. I'm using this to override some icons the WiiU defaultly puts "Wii U" icons for that aren't actually Wii U games; punch out, kirby return to dream, mario galaxy 2, etc.

syntax53

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10/1/2018--
  • added some covers
  • fixed "_execute_wiiu_ftp_icons.bat" so the revert option works properly
  • updated "wiiu_tga_convert.bat" to prompt for parameters if you just double-click it

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello @syntax53 I have an icon 128x128px 12,2 ko that not match the size (ko) of proper tga icon, there is a solution ?

EDIT : I grow up resolution of my resolution picture with Gimp, then with recreation it made the thing
EDIT : TGA don't work, according this trhead :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/banners-icon-templates-for-wii-vc.483080/
the file must be iconTex.tga - 65.580 bytes, and I get a close 65.584 bytes
Don't know what to do

Last edited by jul16ares,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he...