Hacking Wiikey v1 + 4.2

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gamer said:
Did you try patching IOS70 with Dop-IOS? According to the safe FW updater thread:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184057

Trucha patching IOS70 could help people having problems with "old" modchips, but dunno if that help at all with the region free.
yep i have preloader and bootmii and 4.2u running well no fails besides the wiikey region free.

mod chip still works for all i through at it but region free is broken by 4.2u update.

gecko works so 4.2u isnt all bad

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Region free on the wiikey and other early wii mod-chips was never that great anyway, i don't understand what all the fuss is about.

use gecko-os for imports, what's the difference?

PainToad

Trophies
XP
Country
rasputin said:
Region free on the wiikey and other early wii mod-chips was never that great anyway, i don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Cause I like the Disc Channel and Gecko is ugly as sin.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PainToad said:
rasputin said:

Cause I like the Disc Channel and Gecko is ugly as sin.
dido..but ohwell..till theres a fix im using mostly usbloaders n e way

duy64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
duy64 said:
Bloodlust said:
duy64 said:
Works fine for me with 4.2u and wiikey along with cIOS and other things
Try this http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184...t=0&start=0
and this http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184091&st=0

Have you tested other region games?

Yes both on GameCube and Wii Jap games and one PAL game on US console and all through Disc channel

Did you patch IOS70 after finishing the safe 4.2 update ?

I used the wanin 4.2 and, having not used the disc channel for months, having read this thread thought I'd try the disc channel on my PAL Wii with Wiikey1.

None of my backups work at all - neither PAL ones nor NTSC
frown.gif
But as others have said it is not a great problem - as I say I hadn't used the disc channel for months anyway.

PainToad

Trophies
XP
Country

jhardluck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have WiiKey 2 on a NTSC machine. 4.2 was updated on my machine before I knew about the issues. Everything works fine except for the Region Free. Unfortunately I had a bunch of PAL games converted to NTSC which no longer work. I have never added the the Homebrew Channel, Gecko, etc... because I did not have a need for it. Is there anyway to play my Wii PAL games on my NTSC machine now. I see people mentioning Gecko(again never used it or Homebrew channel before) is this something I need to install to play my PAL games if there is not going to be a firmware update to fix the WiiKey 2. Help me please. I did the Hardware mod originally to keep from doing the software mod. I have 4 small children and thought the software mod would just confuse them. What options do I have? Any help is appreciated.

PainToad

Trophies
XP
Country
Your two option (that have already been discussed) are:
1) Use Gecko to launch your imports
2) Downgrade to 4.1 etc.

Both require homebrew.

electrico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Same here Wii pal 4.2e + wiikey v1 1.9s .Regionfrii is dead .My other region games are memory. I agree that wiikey team won't do anything about it.

jhardluck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pain Todd I thought people were having issues with Homebrew after the 4.2 update also. If this is the case Gecko is out for a sollution. I would love to go back to 4.1 but, not sure how since I had never installed backup software. If you have any suggestions, instructions, etc.. I'd appreciate the help. I also read that people who had the backup software installed before this were bricking their machines sometimes trying to downgrade to 4.1.

omninmo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it works on mine, but i have a wiikey 1 on it... damn shame I hate using gecko it really is f-ugly, also just booting from the disc channel was much more convenient
frown.gif

D

Deleted User

omninmo said:
it works on mine, but i have a wiikey 1 on it... damn shame I hate using gecko it really is f-ugly, also just booting from the disc channel was much more convenient
frown.gif

Gecko OS owns, autobooting it through preloader.
Much more convienent and easier to use than disc channel and it launches all my imports.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bring back an old thread but... why has it taken so long for someone to make a crack for 4.2 region free? I personally don't understand what I'm looking at in a hex editor but surely there are many hackers here that do, and we know that it's in the system menu (so we don't have to hunt through all of the IOS's to find it) and we know where the region is set in the Wii (or else anyregion changer wouldn't work at all or wouldn't exist) so really... why hasn't someone been able to spot where it compares something to the region code?

Is it because the people who know how to do it don't care enough to take the time, or is it really hidden that well?

For those with problems, DoP-IOS MOD version 8 (and now version 9) is among the top 5 useful programs made for the scene... You can update every IOS there is, and choose to add trucha or not, and then install system menu 4.1. 4.1 is where it's at! It has the SD menu, fixed some little bug with sports resort, and region free still works with chips and priiloader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1