Hacking Wiikey or Loader?

Parasomia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys - new here.

I haven't been in the "Wii-Scene" for about a year, but I decided on buying a Wii this week. It seems things have really changed!

So after reading a few forums and such there is one thing I'm rather interested in knowing (and I hope I didn't miss this anywhere).

What are the Pros and Cons of the Wiikey2 and the Loader? Usually chips are better eh? But this Loader sounds like it has got everything down. Are there really any benefits from one or the other? The idea of storing backups on an external USB drive sounds quite nice. I will guess that something like Wiikey can only run from discs?

I think I'm just interested in some opinions on what people think. And sorry if this has been gone through, but I've not seen much about comparisons.

Thanks!

ILLPLEASA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For SoftMods:

Its been stated that there are problems with some Wii's that are in production now (in stores also) in which they cannot be softmodded (even if the firmware is not at 4.0)... Hopefully you don't get one of these Wii's but you'll only know once you buy it. Also, if you get a Wii not from a store (IE used or second hand) make sure that it is not on Firmware 4.0 because as of yet there is no way to downgrade or softmod a 4.0 firmware (unless you previously installed homebrew on it like Homebrew Channel or any Custom firmware before you upgraded)...

For HardMods (Chips):

Don't know the compatablity with the WiiKey and the new Wii's, but know the DriveKey (from makers of WiiKey) and other chips with the same design should work with any Wii since it doesnt need to be clipped or sodered into the motherboard. However the DriveKey runs backups at 3x whereas the Wiikey would be 6x (standard speed for Wii games)..

Parasomia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhhh, ya it will be newer as far as I know (ordered an online bundle). I'll wait till it gets here and see what chipset and firmware it has. I am sure that the more recent stuff will eventually get broken through... eventually. So basically, with a good Wii, you can generally do the same thing with one or the other? Homebrew and all that fun stuff?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof