Hacking WiiFlow Lite

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splitters?? Do you mean a USB hub? As far as I know you are not able to use a usb hub, the cables need to be directly connected.

With they Y cable directly connected you also need to make sure the main cable is in the correct port on the Wii or Wii U, the secondary cable is just for additional power and can go into any port.
Hi, it's a Y-Cable. I will edit the original post for clarity.

I have the Data USB going into Port 0 and the Power cable going into the other port. I've done all the troubleshooting and it's either the drive that WiiFlow can't properly talk to or the Y-Cables I am using don't play nice with the WiiFlow.

Last edited by TheNintendoEnthusiast,

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if you answered this somewhere already, but have you confirmed the drive is MBR and formatted as fat32 in just one single partition?
It wasn't answered already!
It is a 1TB Fat32 32KB Cluster MBR Formatted drive with a single partition. It doesn't have an additional "EFI Partition." It has 450GB of storage spaced currently used up.

AdamCatalyst

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It wasn't answered already!
It is a 1TB Fat32 32KB Cluster MBR Formatted drive with a single partition. It doesn't have an additional "EFI Partition." It has 450GB of storage spaced currently used up.
Sorry if someone has already asked you this, is this a self powered hard drive?

My experience with the Wii U, is that using a USB powered drive is unstable at best, even with a Y-cable. A drive with a discrete power supply works very well. A USB thumbtack can also work well, if you get one that is high quality, with decent heat dissipation. I have had the most stability from an SD card, but any of these will work at least an order of magnitude better than a USB powered hard drive (or SSD).

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if someone has already asked you this, is this a self powered hard drive?

My experience with the Wii U, is that using a USB powered drive is unstable at best, even with a Y-cable. A drive with a discrete power supply works very well. A USB thumbtack can also work well, if you get one that is high quality, with decent heat dissipation. I have had the most stability from an SD card, but any of these will work at least an order of magnitude better than a USB powered hard drive (or SSD).
It is self-powered. This drive doesn't have the ability to plug into an outlet/power source. I use a Y cable (Data Port0, Power Port1). I am not very bummed because I can use USBLoaderGX for Wii/GC and emulators separately to load ROMs from them rather than use WiiFlow as a launcher.

It's weird how Wiiflow detects the files and WBFS games on the drive but once you try to load Wii Games it acts up. I haven't tried emulators through WiiFlow since I couldn't get Wii games to work. I didn't want to put effort into setting it all up when WiiFlow is having issues reading the drive for Wii games.

Reactions: jeannotte

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi Fledge. First, let me say a big thank you for this great piece of software.

A question. There is an option, sd_only, to ignore the usb in order to avoid timeouts.
I'm running the opposite setup: games and app on the usb HDD, and no sdcard. There are random timeouts here and there that I suspect being related to wiiflow trying to access a sdcard. I can't find any consistent pattern but these timeouts seems to happen mostly when there is something to be written to disk. Perhaps an usb_only flag would help.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Fledge. First, let me say a big thank you for this great piece of software.

A question. There is an option, sd_only, to ignore the usb in order to avoid timeouts.
I'm running the opposite setup: games and app on the usb HDD, and no sdcard. There are random timeouts here and there that I suspect being related to wiiflow trying to access a sdcard. I can't find any consistent pattern but these timeouts seems to happen mostly when there is something to be written to disk. Perhaps an usb_only flag would help.
usually when you change game settings or other settings there's a pause going back to the main covers view. its because the config file is saved to whatever device (in your case usb). I should probably remove that but then only when you launch a game or exit wiiflow will the config be saved.

meta-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
tried using wiiflow lite on the wii u but booting into vwii was really annoying to say the least so i searched for an alternative, and i found out that i could something called forwarder for the wiiflow lite thing
and it was really cool specially that i can use the gamepad as wii pro controller but i ran into tiny problem
and that's is...
wii games aren't working with this
gamecube games are working fine but the wii games didn't let me use it at all
so is there any work around or another forwarder that doesn't have this issue
Screenshot 2022-01-08 050356.png

Last edited by meta-,

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by RunningSnakes,
Reactions: meta-

meta-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
There are many vWii WiiFlow Lite forwarders using those links in that thread. Every forwarder channel is confirmed working.

My forwarder channels link has both Wii & vWii included.

vWii forwarders link has been updated, I did not realize the link was down.
i think you miss understand
I'm using a forwarder on the wii u menu not the vwii it self
and your MediaFire link is broken or something idk

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-08 055245.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-08 055245.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot 2022-01-08 055619.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-08 055619.png
    1 MB · Views: 49
Reactions: RunningSnakes

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was seeing another user was having the same issue over in the Wii forums as me and he said he had success with 5.4.9 in his original post.
USBLoader BlackB0x mod worked for them and I .

Curious, I tried to load Wii games on 5.4.9 on the vWii and it worked like a charm. I tried a few Wii Games and it works as expected.

I started with a clean version of WiiFlow with no changes in settings
USB0
No force cIOS

Something changed in 5.5.0 that caused Wii games not to load for some drives.

@RunningSnakes
@fledge68

If there is something I can do to help isolate the issue, please let me know.

Reactions: meta- and SaulFabre

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was seeing another user was having the same issue over in the Wii forums as me and he said he had success with 5.4.9 in his original post.
USBLoader BlackB0x mod worked for them and I .

Curious, I tried to load Wii games on 5.4.9 on the vWii and it worked like a charm. I tried a few Wii Games and it works as expected.

I started with a clean version of WiiFlow with no changes in settings
USB0
No force cIOS

Something changed in 5.5.0 that caused Wii games not to load for some drives.

@RunningSnakes
@fledge68

If there is something I can do to help isolate the issue, please let me know.
Try this commit of wiiflow v5.5.0 - https://www.mediafire.com/file/jlglsh12euvl9e8/wiiflow_lite_a45cc4c.zip/file

you should back up current wiiflow and do a clean install before testing.
This is the commit right before i made changes to the wii game booter.
if it works i know where the issue is. if it doesn't work then it might be related to now being compiled with ppc r39-2 (GCC 11) and libogc 2.3.1-1 .

meta-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Try this commit of wiiflow v5.5.0 -

if it works i know where the issue is. if it doesn't work then it might be related to now being compiled with ppc r39-2 (GCC 11) and libogc 2.3.1-1 .
i tried using both 4.9 original build and this build but sadly it didn't work even tho i uninstalled the vwii and wii u forwarders and deleted all the files for wiiflow it's self but i didn't get any results from them and i think this issue comes from the wii u menu forwarder,
so if there's any up to date forwarder this well help a lot

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried using wiiflow lite on the wii u but booting into vwii was really annoying to say the least so i searched for an alternative, and i found out that i could something called forwarder for the wiiflow lite thing
and it was really cool specially that i can use the gamepad as wii pro controller but i ran into tiny problem
and that's is...
wii games aren't working with this
gamecube games are working fine but the wii games didn't let me use it at all
so is there any work around or another forwarder that doesn't have this issue
View attachment 292777
Your problem is you are launching wiiflow via the wii u menu using a vwii injected game. wii games require cios to run but cios don't work when you boot a usb loader this way. only gamecube and emu plugins work because they don't require cios.

meta-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Your problem is you are launching wiiflow via the wii u menu using a vwii injected game. wii games require cios to run but cios don't work when you boot a usb loader this way. only gamecube and emu plugins work because they don't require cios.
I'm using sd card for wii games and gamecube games as well but idk i wanna play my wii games on wiiflow forwarder
(´ . .̫ . `)
is there any work around or something

TheNintendoEnthusiast

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this commit of wiiflow v5.5.0 - https://www.mediafire.com/file/jlglsh12euvl9e8/wiiflow_lite_a45cc4c.zip/file

I tested with a clean install using this version. (Deleted WiiFlow Save, clean Root WiiFlow Folder and Clean WiiFlow Apps) Issue persists in that build.

Reactions: meta-

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: what's up woke boy