WiiConnect24 Standby + other quick questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sm07, Feb 2, 2010.

Feb 2, 2010
  1. sm07
    OP

Newcomer sm07 Newbie

United States
    Hey guys, love the site, been here many times but this is my first post =)

I just Bannerbomb'd my Wii (v 4.2E) and everything's going smoothly at the moment. I just have a few quick questions:

1. We have a Wii remote charger dock which connects to the Wii via USB. Problem is, it only charges when the Wii is either on (which isn't really when we want to charge the remotes) or in WiiConnect24 standby mode - is this safe to leave on if I have homebrew installed?

2. Using the HackMii installer, I installed DVDX and Homebrew Channel. If Nintendo does some kind of forced update, is this likely to brick my Wii? (I didn't install BootMii - should I?)

Thanks in advance guys and sorry for being such a noob about this [​IMG]

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    1. Wiiconnect24 is okay-Nintendo won't update without asking
    2. It won't brick your wii. YES, INSTALL BOOTMII both as boot2 if you can and as IOS

3. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    WiiConnect24 doesn't automatically download updates, so don't worry about that.

Instead, disable WC24 since having the Wii circuitry active without a fan running will slowly fry its GPU, particularly if it's in a poorly ventilated location.

4. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Umm...Mine has been running since 2007 and it's OK

5. FenrirWolf

United States
    That's good. Mine was actually running quite fine as well, but I've read numerous cases of the Wii GPU dying (the white specks of doom) and figured it wasn't worth leaving on.

EDIT: Googling around doesn't bring much in the way of official news, mainly forum posts from affected users and Nintendo saying that they owe it to random chance and not directly to WC24. Take that as you will, I suppose.

6. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Same here. I leave it in WC24 standby all the time. I have yet to have a single issue with my wii because of it, and mine is a Feb 2007. My friend has a launch wii that he runs in standby all the time with no ill effects either. As long as it's not in a closed cabinet, go for it.

As for the question on bootmii...it's a must have, especially if you can install it as boot2 where it's most useful. If you can only install the IOS version, be sure to install priiloader 0.3b for good brick protection.

7. harmor

Member harmor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wouldn't it still be a good idea to install Priiloader if he or she can install bootmii as boot2 so he or she can disable online and disc updates?

8. FenrirWolf

United States
    You can use StartPatch for that. It's essentially Preloader's hacks.ini feature but without the preloading aspect.

9. sm07
    OP

Newcomer sm07 Newbie

United States
    Thanks guys, great advice. Really appreciate your help!

I think I'll leave standby on, seems most convenient. My Wii's a brand new Dec 09 model so hopefully it won't die on me anytime soon =)

I'll install BootMii and have a look into Priiloader/StartPatch (although when I went into the BootMii setup, I'm fairly sure that the preferred boot2 method was unavaliable, so it seems I'll have to do the IOS setup instead >_

10. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    My Wii died within 2 weeks of purchase because of this exact reason. GPU failed. WC24 was on, and now that I have my wii back it will never be on again.