Hacking Wii with modchip/softmod, force PAL gamecube games to 480p?

MaGosT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey!

I was wondering if there is an alternative to the Qoob Pro for the gamecube to force my PAL collection to 480p? I'm aware that not all games are compatible, but still would like to know if there are any alternatives to the Qoob chip.
What I found so far is that the wiikey lets you run GCOS and force the videomode needed for your display.. but does that equal the Qoob functionality for pal games forced to 480p?

Thx in advance!

MaGosT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, so neogamma lets you choose which video mode you wanna run the game under, but does this work equally to the Qoob chip 480p force bios option, for Pal gamecube games? If thats the case, is the compability equal? (Asking these things, rather than trying myself since i sold my hacked wii and started fresh with a brand new wii, which i wont touch but buy an old used one to then run my pal gamecube collection in 480p, given that its possible)

edit: Oh just saw that Wiipower had progressive scan on all compatible games on his to do list, so i guess that answers the softmod part of my question.. how about modchips?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
MaGosT said:
Hey, so neogamma lets you choose which video mode you wanna run the game under, but does this work equally to the Qoob chip 480p force bios option, for Pal gamecube games? If thats the case, is the compability equal? (Asking these things, rather than trying myself since i sold my hacked wii and started fresh with a brand new wii, which i wont touch but buy an old used one to then run my pal gamecube collection in 480p, given that its possible)

edit: Oh just saw that Wiipower had progressive scan on all compatible games on his to do list, so i guess that answers the softmod part of my question.. how about modchips?
You don't need a modchip with NeoGamma. Just softmod your Wii with ModMii and install WiiGator cMIOS v0.2 (page 4 downloads of ModMii) with Multimod Manager (page 2) using cIOS236 (part of the softmod process).

MaGosT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
JoostinOnline said:
MaGosT said:

You don't need a modchip with NeoGamma. Just softmod your Wii with ModMii and install WiiGator cMIOS v0.2 (page 4 downloads of ModMii) with Multimod Manager (page 2) using cIOS236 (part of the softmod process).

Well ye.. but the point of this whole thread was to find the best solution for me to achieve forced 480p for my PAL gamecube games, since i dont feel like rebuyinng them as NTSC. Wiipower states that the force 480p is on his todo list, which gives me the impression that you cant force PAL games into 480p but rather choose the correct videomode for the game & screen for it to run.

I came into thinking of modchips since i found some random posts here on gbatemp saying something like "enable gcos with the wiikey config disc to enable forced 480p" but i cant find proof of that anywhere, nor a responds from the thread creator :/

Worst case scenario found is buying a cube, a component cable and qoob chip, but I'd rather find an alternative for my wii, if there is one
smile.gif

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I get what you mean MaGosT. And a softmod won't let you listen properly to audio streaming games, but a few, unless you do a bit of a hassle and stuff.

Wiikey, sunkey, D2SUN, drivekey, etc are indeed Wii modchips, but I would strongly recommend you to get the WASABI DX modchip as it features audio streaming off scrubbed GC partitions, and a frequently updated kernel which you can get off their website, and their updates can be burned onto a DVD and be flashed from a wii.

XenoGC and QooB chips are designed for a Gamecube system.

-

Wii modchips nowadays nearly perform all the functions a QOOB or XENOGC modchip had. (audio streaming, NTSC/PAL 50/60hz force, 480p,etc ) WHILE IN GAMECUBE MODE (WII).

MaGosT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Coto said:
I get what you mean MaGosT. And a softmod won't let you listen properly to audio streaming games, but a few, unless you do a bit of a hassle and stuff.

Wiikey, sunkey, D2SUN, drivekey, etc are indeed Wii modchips, but I would strongly recommend you to get the WASABI DX modchip as it features audio streaming off scrubbed GC partitions, and a frequently updated kernel which you can get off their website, and their updates can be burned onto a DVD and be flashed from a wii.

-

Wii modchips nowadays nearly perform all the functions a QOOB or XENOGC modchip had. (audio streaming, NTSC/PAL 50/60hz force, 480p,etc ) WHILE IN GAMECUBE MODE (WII).

Hey, and thx for your reply.

I looked into the wasabi dx, but cant seem to find any info regarding functionality of forcing 480p for PAL gamecube games. The menu, when pressing eject 3x seems really basic and doesn't provide any gamecube options at all.. except the "wii region free" which i assume provides NTSC support for PAL consolse :/

Could you provide more info
smile.gif
?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
MaGosT said:
Coto said:

-

Hey, and thx for your reply.

I looked into the wasabi dx, but cant seem to find any info regarding functionality of forcing 480p for PAL gamecube games. The menu, when pressing eject 3x seems really basic and doesn't provide any gamecube options at all.. except the "wii region free" which i assume provides NTSC support for PAL consolse :/

Could you provide more info
smile.gif
?

Uhm I'd have to practically steal my friend's wii xD since I just use softmod. xD

I have been looking for some info around the net, but I couldn't find that much regarding GC compatibility. The info given above came by some tests I did in the past with a friend's wii with a solderless WASABI DX chip. Most gamecube backups worked flawlessly (melee, wind waker), but in NTSC mode, because of the TV region here which is, NTSC.

So my best bet is, if you truly want to enjoy your Wii to it fullest while in Gamecube mode, you'll have to do a lot of research about wii chips.

Oh, and Wasabi DX won't run games at full 6X speed, but 3X (slower reads, pretty much the same found in any softmod Gamecube mode, or a cMIOS), because of the technology it uses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up