Wii Video Problems When USB is Plugged In

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by VashEXE, Feb 26, 2014.

1. VashEXE
    OP

VashEXE Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2012
    United States
    As the title states, I have an issue with my Wii when I plug in an external hard drive. I have tried multiple cables and a couple of different enclosures for the drive, but it still gives me pink and green static-like lines going up through the screen. This hard drive used to be an external hdd, but I had to take it out of the original casing because power wouldn't get through the external hdd anymore. The hard drive tests fine and it detects just fine on a PC without any sort of video issues.

Any ideas? From what it looks like right now it seems like it might just be the USB interface on the Wii itself, but if I plug a flash drive into either of the USB ports it doesn't have any problems... In the mean time I'll see if I can't get all of my stuff onto another external drive to test with, but it seems to be something with externally powered USB devices.

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Is the enclosure powered on separately?

3. VashEXE
    OP

VashEXE Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2012
    United States
    Do you mean, is the enclosure powered from the wall? If so, yes. I have tried connecting the power adapter for the enclosure to a couple of different power strips and even directly to the wall, but it still gives me the lines.

4. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I'm not sure what you have going on with this part

"This hard drive used to be an external hdd, but I had to take it out of the original casing because power wouldn't get through the external hdd anymore. "

So it's just a bare drive with an adapter now?

If so, I'd make a wild guess that it's somehow putting out interference and needs to be in a proper case to shield it. Also, it's a bad idea to run it that way long term, for the sake of the drive.

5. VashEXE
    OP

VashEXE Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2012
    United States
    It was a Seagate external hard drive. The power adapter on it had gone bad I believe. Either that or the actual board that you plugged the USB and power into went bad. Either way the drive tests good and is plugged into a hard drive enclosure. It's not bare wires or anything like that. I tried it at first with a USB hotswap bay plugged into the Wii. It detects the hard drive just fine with both methods, but they both have the video lines. Sorry, I'm trying to type this out as clearly as possible haha.