Wii VC - Running Different Modes, PAL NTSC (Different Looks*)

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by zerowalker, Jan 9, 2014.

1. zerowalker
    OP

zerowalker GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    Okay worst topic ever, but anyway.

As some may know, not only will PAL and NTSC differ in Speed (50hz,60hz), but even if both are the same (60hz) it can still look different.

I am no talking about the game itself, but the Video, for example, it may look Darker, or Brighter.
    This shouldn´t really be the case, but it is in Wii on some occasions.

And for that matter, Majora's Mask is very dark for me, and it runs in NTSC mode on my Emulated Nand, as i couldn´t get it to run that on my PAL version (Real Nand).

I think that PAL often is Brighter for some reason, i am pretty sure there was a difference in Twillight Princess as well (Wii version), but it seems to be more common for me at least, in Gamecube and VC.

So to topic, for Gamecube, you can often try to play around with the Video Modes to see if there is any difference to "cure" the problem.

However for VC i don´t know of any, the only way i can do it, is run it normally at 60hz NTSC, settings PAL 60hz doesn´t seem to do anything.

Also, off topic a bit, But does anyone know why VC (at least Majora) is played in 60fps with NTSC and 25fps with PAL (I know PAL is 25,50, but i am talking about 25, NTSC should be 30fps not doubling the framerate).

2. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Why you couldn't?

Also are using component or compiste cables, when using component you get a sharper brighter image.

PAL versions of Wii/VC runs at lower framerate, I think it always has been the case, and why people over Europe ask Nintendo releases in NTSCU mode. Your best bet is stillplaying NTSCU versions but using component cables, it should increase the image quality and brightness. ​

3. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    I have all my VC games in my Emu Nand .
    I use NTSC wad files, so no patching.

My actual Wii is PAL.
    This gives me good options concerning VC games
    A note about N64 VC games, they ALSO RUN IN 480 PROGRESSIVE SCAN.

This would explain the darker image in PAL games, as your TV has to deinterlaced the 576i signal.
    Depending on your the quality of your TV picture quality might differ.
    I happen to own a TV to does Deinterlacing VERY well, and I do not have any difference in brightness of PAL vs NTSC.
    Use component cables when connecting your Wii.

4. zerowalker
    OP

Jan 21, 2012
    I am using Component, and i am using a Capture Card, so it´s Progressive yes, not PAL or NTSC bound.

I can run Majora on PAL, but it´s messed up, and i couldn´t get the patching to work around it (it runts 25fps compared to 60fps, but i guess it´s really 25-30).

I don´t play on a TV, but on a PC Monitor with Capture Card, i will show a screnshot from Majora's Mask, as i think it´s quite dark.
    Wii VC - Dark 1.png
    Wii VC - Dark 2.png
    Wii VC - Dark 3.png

5. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Well monitors always look more opaque than standart TVs, I think they use different display technology, anyway can you adjust the brightness through your monitor?

6. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    NTSC Runs at 60 Hz, Not 60 fps.This actually comes down to about 30~35 fps
    If you can get a hold of a gamecube instruction booklet, you can find this info.
    Not this is the 480i signal.
    For progressive scan there should not be any difference in PAL or NTSC ( both 480P )

Also note that PAL games never were released for 480p, Wii.
    ( there might be a handfull for gamecube though.)

You can install and use NTSC wads on a region changed Wii or use NAND channelemulation, available in USB loader GX an WiiFLow.
    You also NEED to set your Wii to 480p edtv/hdtv.

If you are using a standard crt monitor, deinterlacing IS happening.
    It's just part of the technology.

Even more so if you do not have a separte scaler between you monitor and the Wii , your monitor also processes scaling. ( unless your monitor is natively 720x480)
    This also can present diferent result depending on brand and quality.

Good scalers are more expensive.
    Deinterlacing and scaling can produxe artifacting and input lag.

The reasong for the difference in a PAL vs NTSC signal is probably be cause of how you capture card processes those signals.
    Normally there should'nt be any difference.

7. zerowalker
    OP

Jan 21, 2012
    OriginalHamster,

The picture i linked are losslessly captured, non-altered, as you can see, it´s dark, and the darkness has crushed some details, so just increasing brightness will not cure it, it will just turn Black to Gray.

Hielkenator,

Wait, i am pretty sure that 60hz is 60fps IF it´s Progressive, while Interlaced is Half (meaning 2 frames in 1, or 30fps).
    Same goes with PAL, but 25/50.

But as you say, PAL Interlaced is 576i vs 480i, and 50vs60.

Wait, ehm, i am pretty sure that most or probably all except rare cases, are 480p in PAL with Wii,
    Gamecube however, is ALWAYS 480i as best (60hz), 480p doesn't exist in PAL Gamecube at all if my mind services right.

My monitor will receive it Natively, as i watch through VirtualDub (Capture Program), and can upscale it if i want, but it will just stretch the window, not actually Rescaling and adjusting.

Normally as you say, there shouldn´t be any difference, but i only seem to get difference on Wii, but then again it may not be the signal but how Wii shows the Games.