Hardware Wii U won't boot the first time?

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've had that happen to me at times.

Here's what I did to fix my issue:
1. Reset the console to factory settings
2. Resync the Wii U GamePad
3. Turn off standby functions
4. Unplug and remove the system battery cell
5. Plug everything back in and boot

Should be fine after that.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had that happen to me at times.

Here's what I did to fix my issue:
1. Reset the console to factory settings
2. Resync the Wii U GamePad
3. Turn off standby functions
4. Unplug and remove the system battery cell
5. Plug everything back in and boot

Should be fine after that.
I have the Mario Kart DLC and some saves for games like Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, etc. Could I move those to an external hard drive so I don't lose them? Also, I downloaded a game as part of registering for MK8. Will I lose that also?

If I followed your process, would I be able to just plug in the hard drive if I have the data moved to it and then continue my games? Or would I lose it? My song and I also have some time put in with Skylanders Trap Team also. I cannot risk losing those things. I don't want to have Nintendo say, "You cannot download the game or DLC for MK8 again as you've reset your system." If anyone has information on this that would be helpful. Thanks for the reply also shinkodachi.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have the Mario Kart DLC and some saves for games like Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, etc. Could I move those to an external hard drive so I don't lose them? Also, I downloaded a game as part of registering for MK8. Will I lose that also?

If I followed your process, would I be able to just plug in the hard drive if I have the data moved to it and then continue my games? Or would I lose it? My song and I also have some time put in with Skylanders Trap Team also. I cannot risk losing those things. I don't want to have Nintendo say, "You cannot download the game or DLC for MK8 again as you've reset your system." If anyone has information on this that would be helpful. Thanks for the reply also shinkodachi.

The DLC/games you've downloaded are partially tied to your account as well, meaning that as long as you're using the same Wii U, you can always log in to the eShop and redownload anything you've purchased before. This won't work if you have your Wii U replaced, however. (Unless the data is transferred between the consoles.)

You can put your games and saves to an external USB and again the same principle applies, as long as it's the same Wii U there's no trouble even after a system format. However, since you have lots of important data on there I'd go the extra safe route and contact Nintendo about this issue. Perhaps they can help without risking that you lose your data.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spoke with Nintendo. They said I should go into data management and delete the update. I found no update in there. They said if I have games and saves on my hard drive that as long as I removed it before I factory reset that I could simply plug it in after the format of the system and everything would be recognized.

This contradicts what others have told me. I deleted youtube, netflix, and some personal data files associated with them. My controller flipped out and would not connect even after turning off the Wii U and restarting. The third time was the charm. The gamepad connected and the system shut down and restarted like 15 times without an issue. I'll let it sit for a while and try again. It has not started that much cleanly since before one of the 5.x updates. If all goes well I'll probably stop posting here. I was very hesitant to try her hardware reset tip; plug in hard drive and it will work because this Wii U formatted it.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. Google it and you'll find that many have had the issue since a 5.x update. I don't want to factory reset because I am not sure I can plug in my hard drive and use it after the format.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. Google it and you'll find that many have had the issue since a 5.x update. I don't want to factory reset because I am not sure I can plug in my hard drive and use it after the format.

Hard drive will work after format, the encryption is console-specific and will never change (besides when it selectively blows its fuses to determine the encryption the upon the first ever boot)

thebigvane

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
CMOS battery is dead. I replaced mine, problem solved.
On the right in the front is a small screw. There is the battery hiding.

thebigvane

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
necrobump, but iirc, you don't need the cmos battery for the console to boot.
You are right. I was to early with my conclusions. My Wii U still has the boot problem. First boot is with blue led so it appears to be on. But there is no video output or gamepad connection.
When I power down the system and power on then everything works fine.
If someone has a solution, im still troubleshooting.
My Wii U is not hacked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...