Hardware Wii U will have Achievements

Eerpow

*swoosh*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
"Here’s a little bit of background. Up until the Wii U, the device held all of the account information. Whether you played or your kids played or your partner played, it was all one set of data to the Wii. The same was true for DS and 3DS.

With Wii U, we’re going to have an account system. This means you’re going to create a Mii, as will all the other members of your family, and the behaviour for each Mii is going to be captured in an account. For example, if you’ve achieved a certain level in a game, that information will be unique to your Mii. Parental settings will be specific to each Mii.

This is critically important, because it means things like messaging and achievements and other key online functionality is tailored to you." -Reggie

source

No details on what they will eventually be called but it's nice to have a confirmation.
While I'm not personally interested in them I still posted this because I know some people here that are.

Reactions: 2 people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm... wonder if it will be used as an excuse to hose up guest/splitscreen as it has been for the other consoles.

As for achievements.... if they were interesting or had a tangible effect I might be interested but looking at the systems and games with them they just seem so badly/lazily implemented so as not to be worth the hassle. On the other hand if I get to continue watching people being banned for trying to mod it then I am OK with that.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
The most fool feature in the world of video games in my opinion is that achievements stuff. I only hope that they don't build games around this kind of stuff. It is unbelievable to see games on PSN trying to sell with this argument: "Buy because we have 10 gold trophies and a platinum trophies"

I really see no point in playing for this

Reactions: 3 people

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The most fool feature in the world of video games in my opinion is that achievements stuff. I only hope that they don't build games around this kind of stuff. It is unbelievable to see games on PSN trying to sell with this argument: "Buy because we have 10 gold trophies and a platinum trophies"

I have never seen a game sold on "Buy me for achievements!" Achievements are a side thing that adds a sense of accomplishment to the game. So you can do something impressive in a game and have others see it. There's just something satisfying about playing a game and seeing that little blip pop up on the Xbox that tells you unlocked a certain amount of points.

Reactions: 4 people

Eerpow

*swoosh*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

I have never seen a game sold on "Buy me for achievements!" Achievements are a side thing that adds a sense of accomplishment to the game. So you can do something impressive in a game and have others see it. There's just something satisfying about playing a game and seeing that little blip pop up on the Xbox that tells you unlocked a certain amount of points.
That's an exaggeration, other than that achievements were never a satisfactory thing for me. Getting a score on a leader board however is much more appealing.

D

Deleted_171835

Yeah, achievements used to be rewarding but now that developers add achievements for every dumb thing that you do, they've lost a lot of meaning.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
PleasepleasePLEASE let this be based on the achievement grids in Sakura's games (Air Ride, Brawl, Uprising)... those were the most awesome achievement systems ever! ^.^
Only time achievements are good is when they motivate you to unlock stuff like in KI where you got weapons, hearts etc. for clearing stages at higher intensity levels.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Only time achievements are good is when they motivate you to unlock stuff like in KI where you got weapons, hearts etc. for clearing stages at higher intensity levels.
I sort of agree, but at the same time, I'm satisfied with achievements as a sort of "record" of what I've actually accomplished in a game. To me, it's kind of like a more casual, automatic version of backloggery.com (and if you've never heard of that, please DO check it out!). Also, even though this isn't THAT important to me, it's kind of cool to be able to "prove" that I did a certain thing, or else remind me.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Achievements keep me playing a game once I beat the story once. After I beat the game once, I play to get achievements. If GOW 3 didn't have an achievement for beating the Challenge of Olympus, I would have stopped playing that game once I beat the story and got the story based achievements and wouldn't have bothered with it at all.

Do you know how satisfying it is to see the platinum achievement unlock on any ps3 game? :P I want that feeling from a Nintendo system.

AzureuzZetsunai

HAHA, 20!... i punch it!
Trophies
Website
hashtiv.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Achievements keep me playing a game once I beat the story once. After I beat the game once, I play to get achievements. If GOW 3 didn't have an achievement for beating the Challenge of Olympus, I would have stopped playing that game once I beat the story and got the story based achievements and wouldn't have bothered with it at all.

Do you know how satisfying it is to see the platinum achievement unlock on any ps3 game? :P I want that feeling from a Nintendo system.

you are right. i agree with you :D

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Achievements are fun as both a historian (recording when I did what in a game, such as milestone achievements for Tales of Vesperia telling me the date I reached them), and just as a motivator to do things you may not have ever tried to do before.
They encourage both completion and exploration.

There is not a single negative thing about the achievement system. Whether it's pointless to some or not, it will never be a BAD system. It's actually pretty genius and i'm glad to see that in the next gen of consoles, all of them will have it incorporated.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was pretty obvious they were going to add achievements, because if not people would rage.

Personally, I never have gone out of my way for an achievement on a Steam or PS3 game.

mjh2260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is not a single negative thing about the achievement system. Whether it's pointless to some or not, it will never be a BAD system.
I agree that it isn't a bad thing, and if they stick it in, whatever. But I don't get the seemingly near consensus opinion that it is one of the top make or break features of wii u.
It seems like a very minor thing to me. I mean, yeah I tried to get "KONG" and all the puzzle pieces in DKCR, but having it on online for other people to (not) read/care about, i'd not bother. Never used xbox to even know if that is comparable, so i may be talking out my tail...

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Achievements are nice and all but I actually nintendo does something special with them, like the achievement wall in brawl, or say there is a puzzle à la
streetpass and every time you get an achievement you get a puzzle piece or something

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Achievements are fun as both a historian (recording when I did what in a game, such as milestone achievements for Tales of Vesperia telling me the date I reached them), and just as a motivator to do things you may not have ever tried to do before.
They encourage both completion and exploration.

There is not a single negative thing about the achievement system. Whether it's pointless to some or not, it will never be a BAD system. It's actually pretty genius and i'm glad to see that in the next gen of consoles, all of them will have it incorporated.
This (especially the first seven words) :D

I would love to see achievements in 3DS games, too... Kid Icarus: Uprising already has a type of achievement system built in, and I would love to see that make it to mainstream 3DS titles!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No negatives huh- personally I see the vast majority of them as lazy but that is getting into a merit of games debate which would be kind of pointless to have right now. What I what I will say is negative is the general impact on cheats in single player both in terms of button combinations and earning cheats although EA's buy the ending to the game model seen in a lot of their games is also part of this. If I may steer it back to the lazy part though it has also had something of an impact on easter eggs, pissing around and similar ideas where things will tend to be given a token achievement instead- give me a lights show, a piece of new armour (bomberman 64 did this well although a slightly different system can be seen in some of the more nonlinear mario titles which is to say most of them after lost levels), maybe a new mode/cheat mode (see N64 goldeneye) instead of an achievement any day of the week.

Now of course there are examples of games that avoided this (borderlands did well with the experience bonuses for certain things), still had cheats (GTA did OK here), used them to good effect (some of the borderlands DLC like the final boss in The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned) but that would mean people had to put effort into such things and I can not blame anybody if they were mandatory for phoning it in instead of getting something useful done. Granted this makes it something of a self fulfilling circle of nonsense as respecting achievements can not be done without good ones and nobody is really going to do good ones as a matter of course unless they are respected.

As a history lookback... unified system maybe (although it is not a good one for a lot of types of games) but I have seen milestones and breakdowns thereof in RPGs, puzzle games and and similar titles for years now (rpg game with a diary? and although I have yet to get as far as to see it for myself the trial in chrono trigger?) and for as long as consoles have had clocks onboard it has been tied to those as well. It would take no effort at all to punt some of that to an XML format the dash could read and if XML was used in lieu of system wide achievements (game achievements I have no real problem with or better something like the borderlands experience boosts I would even encourage).

I have probably mentioned it in the past but if there was a conversion rate to the points/money used to buy arcade/wiiware/dlc that would be a model I can definitely support. Of course that would probably* bring the second hand and rental market "debate" full circle and that would probably end badly for those that like that market if full price games still exist at the time and as nobody looks to be taking that leap any time soon.....

*it does not have to and could fall into the building an online community, enhanced demo, older games instead of second hand or just plain good practice but the last few years have not left me an optimist here as far as mainstream consoles are concerned. Hopefully someone in the free to play world or mobile phone games world does something interesting here and many have recognised preludes to this (constant free DLC/updates makes for continued sales is well known at this point).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.