Wii U USB storage device filesystem

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I understand that using an external drive of any type with Wii U via USB, that drive has to be formatted, and the format or encryption is some proprietary thing specific not just to Wii U but to that particular Wii U. I may be getting details wrong, but effectively, that drive can only be used with that Wii U, and not used by vWii or read by another OS. I understand that's how Nintendo set it up.

But I have a few questions about that. These are the questions of someone who knows basically nothing about this, so they may seem foolish. Anyway. When it comes to SD cards, those don't use that format since they're intended for transmitting other data to other devices. Obviously you can't by default play or install games to an SD card, but you can use it for homebrew, and you use the same one for loading homebrew apps on vWii (although you can also load vWii apps via USB).

So here's kind of where I'm going with this, or part 1 of where I'm going with this. This is really the first consideration, and its own consideration that may have some value even without part 2. Setting aside the amount of work or difficulty that would be required, is it theoretically possible to enable Wii U with custom firmware to read a USB storage device with a more common filesystem format or an unencrypted one, such as formats that work for SD card? I won't go into all the benefits I could see this having, I'm just wondering if this is theoretically possible, and if not then why isn't it possible? I'm interested in learning more about it.

The part 2 of this, if it was possible, would be like... would it be possible by doing this to then use the same external hard drive for vWii? Just theoretically. And if not, what are the reasons that this wouldn't work? Besides just being too much work or not worth the effort -- I'm interested in if it's theoretically possible, how much work it would be is a secondary consideration.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Its the same question like why Windows doesnt can use Linux or MacOS Filesystems.
BTW there exists utilitys to support Linuxfs on Windows and Windowsfs on Linux. But it took YEARS to invent it and they cant use it by default. There are a lot of different processes to read, write or delete a file. Also the different rightmanagements are a big Problem where worked till today on to make them work correctly. Especially if a filesystem is encrypted, you need the key and access to the key. And for sure Nintendo implemented different anti-piracy mechanism to prevent developer to get access and implement own stuff. Like Microsoft and Sony do it on XBOX or Playstation. For example they run the dystem and games in a virtual machine where u dont have the ability to get access to the running code. Or they change the position of values in the Ram constantly random, that cant use a correct position to implement own code.

Maybe you find something on wikipedia or similar sites how this processes work on a file system and how the different work.

Last edited by Sypherone,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
is it theoretically possible to enable Wii U with custom firmware to read a USB storage device with a more common filesystem format or an unencrypted one, such as formats that work for SD card?
That's totally possible. There's even a (experimental and buggy) Mocha fork allowing this.

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's right I had forgot you were looking into it.
It's not me. It's someone on 4TU Discord. Not sure if they have a GBATemp account.

//EDIT: They have an account but didn't login for like 10 years. Anyway, some information they just told me: FAT doesn't really work cause it doesn't support anything the Wii U needs (like symlinks). NTFS could work through but that's, if anything, a long term goal for what they do.

Last edited by V10lator,

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not me. It's someone on 4TU Discord. Not sure if they have a GBATemp account.

//EDIT: They have an account but didn't login for like 10 years. Anyway, some information they just told me: FAT doesn't really work cause it doesn't support anything the Wii U needs (like symlinks). NTFS could work through but that's, if anything, a long term goal for what they do.
Oh my bad. Ty for the info. It was done with xbox og and 360 this year. Hopefully something comes of this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o