Wii U Upscaler, how good is it?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Nemix77, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Nemix77
    OP

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I know the Wii U can upscale both Wii U and backwards compatible Wii games to 720p/1080p.

I'd like to know how good is the Wi U's upscaler, is like the Xbox 360 dedicated upscaler with no framerate/performance hit when upscaling both Wii U and Wii titles?

Or is it like the PS3 upscaler where only games that support upscaling can be upscaled?

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    From what I've read, it upscales nearest-neighbor, it doesn't actually render at a higher resolution.

So it's got no major performance hit and should work on everything, but it's slightly pixelated.

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Wii U simply stretches Wii game to 720p/1080p. Most people noticed improved image because the signal is digital at source, compared to component at source for Wii (analog signal degrades as it travels), not because it upscales.

Wii U does not apply any upscaling filter (which some high end TV will do for 480p/720p signal). PS3 and X360 will apply some degree of filter for upscaling too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice