Wii u updated by itself?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by 7R^V, Jan 16, 2016.

1. 7R^V
    OP

7R^V Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    United States
    Moon
    I'm new to the wii u hacking scene but I've been paying attention an waiting patiently for hykems exploit. Leaving my wii u at 5.5.0. Last night how ever my wii u, updated itself, by itself. My question here is, A) is there anything I can do? B) is it even possible to update itself without me giving consent to it? I mean I wasn't informed of any update, didn't click any accept or agree. I heard it make a sound while I was sleeping, didn't think anything of it. Woke up an it was updated.

Thanks for any info.

2. barnhilltrckn

barnhilltrckn Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    United States
    Well you should be OK seeing as there wasa user land exploit released. You can't do anything special with it yet but just give it time.
    As for it updating by itself there is a setting that allows it to silently download updates. Just turn it off and set up tubehax for safety from any future updates.

7R^V likes this.
  3. Swinky

Swinky Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2015
    United States
    The Wii U auto-updates itself.

You should of blocked the server urls.

Not to worry, though. The user land exploit still works on 5.5.1.

7R^V likes this.
  4. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    You should've read the stickies

5. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Not at the moment

Yep, not just possible, it's just how the Wii U works. You need to disconnect it from the internet entirely (by deleting or changing your Wii U's internet settings to something invalid) or block the update servers in your router's DNS settings (if supported) or by using an alternate DNS such as tubehax DNS to stop it from auto updating.

6. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Best way is to prevent it: disable network in Wii U if you do not care about online it.

7. 7R^V
    OP

7R^V Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2016
    United States
    Moon
    Thank you all for the quick feedback! Appreciate it. I'm gonna look more into this userland exploit & shut the wifi down after I'm done to prevent any further updating.

8. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Instead of shutting down the WiFi on your Wii U, use smealum's TubeHax DNS so that you can stay online but not worry about updates. Most Wii U exploits require the web browser, so if you don't have internet access, you're kinda screwing yourself over anyway.

9. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    That's not failproof. Sometimes the DNS is reset to automatic when you run some games and the updates are downloaded anyway.
    People should use locally hosted exploits and only connect to the internet (using tubehax DNS) when necessary.

10. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    What games do this, out of curiosity? I should keep this in mind if I have any games that do this.

I do have router blocks too so...