Hacking Wii U system_config_tool (DevMenu)

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So I create this thread to try to answer some questions about this utility. System config tool is an utility used by dev units to config the system, install tiles, etc. (screenshots). I recently found a pastebin with all the wii u / cafe dev titles, and system config tool was there as well as some other utilities. I tried to load them with loadiine, but black screen. Then I found another pastebin with the following:
Ryan's pastebin said:
As you know System Config Tool and Devmenu do not boot in Loadiine, I believe they may be relying to be booted in "Development Mode" as Dev units have (from the /dev partition retail units don’t normally have access to) but still exists for loading dependencies for games as the WiiU is literally the sdk in PPC rather than C.
Loadiine is loading the /vol partition of the File System. (if i'm not mistaken)
In such, it needs to be re-writen to those references to force it to load the /dev partition instead
If we manage to make it load with loadiine, then maybe we'll be able to install legit wuds. (Not sure if it works the same as the 3DS).
I create this thread to discuss the possibilities of this tool, and if it could be helpful in any way. (Please, constructive posts :), and yes, I know this will also allow piracy.)

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
(my writing style tends to imply facts. This is mostly speculation based on logic and other posts. I'd love to be proven wrong. )

The way I see it this would be possible but not particularly useful. My reasoning goes into how Loadiine works - it uses Mii Maker's permission set to run a different title. In this way, even if the System Config Tool could be ran, we'd still be stuck with the permission set of our host app. As far as the Wii U is concerned, anything you run through Loadiine is Mii Maker, and Mii Maker certainly can't modify system config or install apps.
There is still interest in running the tool by some quieter devs, so stay tuned for that. As for installation of stuff, however... It's unlikely at best.

Reactions: PabloMK7

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
(my writing style tends to imply facts. This is mostly speculation based on logic and other posts. I'd love to be proven wrong. )

The way I see it this would be possible but not particularly useful. My reasoning goes into how Loadiine works - it uses Mii Maker's permission set to run a different title. In this way, even if the System Config Tool could be ran, we'd still be stuck with the permission set of our host app. As far as the Wii U is concerned, anything you run through Loadiine is Mii Maker, and Mii Maker certainly can't modify system config or install apps.
There is still interest in running the tool by some quieter devs, so stay tuned for that. As for installation of stuff, however... It's unlikely at best.
I checked the permissions at cos.xml, and they are the same as any other game (not sure if I checked correctly, could someone confirm how to check the permissions if possible?)

Kliffcom

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But the wup installer can install game updates, but it can't install titles because of the missing tickets and I don't think the config tools can change that

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
But the wup installer can install game updates, but it can't install titles because of the missing tickets and I don't think the config tools can change that
Actually, the config tool also comes in the form of .app files, .h3 files, title.cert, title.tik and title.tmd.

EDIT: Summoning @crediar , he might know. (The TID is 000500101f700500)

Last edited by PabloMK7,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.