Wii U Softmod capabilities?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by portugeek, Feb 5, 2017.

1. portugeek
    OP

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    I just recently bought a Wii U and was looking into softmodding it. I'm confident I can softmod it without issue, but I'm not yet sure if I need to. I'm not completely familiar with all the things a softmodded Wii U "can" and "can't" do yet. I already own a softmodded Wii, and I use it mainly for emulators and Nintendont. Now that I've purchased a Wii U, I thought it would be nice to be able to play emulators and Nintendont via the Wii U Gamepad.

Is this something that's possible yet, or are emulators and Nintendont limited to vWii? Last I checked (about a year or more ago) Wii U softmodding was still very focused on the vWii, making everything limited to the TV screen with Wii compatible controllers.

Have these limitations changed?

Also, how about original Wii games? Can you play them on the GamePad, with the gamepad? Or are you limited to Wii remotes only?

Last edited by portugeek, Feb 5, 2017
  2. paulttt

paulttt GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2008
    As far as I know, you still need to go through vwii to launch nintendont.

You can view this on the gamepad, but cant control with it. You'll need a compatible pad such as a GameCube pad with adaptor, pro controller or many of the HID pads.

3. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You can play some emulators in Wii U mode using retroarch (https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/)

You can play some wii games with a gamepad thru Wii VC (for wii u mode)

You can't use the gamepad in nintendont (yet)

4. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    What do you mean you can't use gamepad in nintendont? I play super smash in Nintendont all the time with a gc controller.

5. Omegadrien

Omegadrien GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    You can't only use the gamepad in nintendon't. You need a wiimote, or others controllers.

6. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Yea the game pad as in wii u game pad, the one with the screen

7. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Sorry. Brain fart. Saw gamepad and thought to myself gamecube

8. portugeek
    OP

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    Thank you guys for all the responses. I'll just keep using the Wii for now. I hope someday the scene will make it so that we can utilize the portability of the Wii U's Gamepad.