Hardware Wii u sensor bar, how/when does it power?

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I'm trying to get my wii u sensor bar to work. I've plugged it into the red plug at the back whilst the wii u was system updating. Booted up dolphin on my PC but the lights don't seem to be working. I've also checked by looking at it through my phones camera, no lights visible.

is it defective or do you need a game in the wii u for it to power the sensor bar? I just checked on my friends wii u upstairs and its the same deal. I powered on his wii u, shoved the camera by the sensor bar and it doesnt register it.

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...why have it on if you don't want to use a wii remote?

if it's for modding purposes I think you can just plug it into used or any 5v supply. or buy a wireless one.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
...why have it on if you don't want to use a wii remote?

if it's for modding purposes I think you can just plug it into used or any 5v supply. or buy a wireless one.
It seems to run on 7.75V and won't work correctly with 5V. This thread https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-how-to-convert-nintendo-wii-sensor-bar-to-usb-sensor-bar suggested adding an inline 1.5V battery to work around that issue but that seems like it would ruin the point to me.
The easiest would be to just buy a sensor bar that already has USB. No messing with splicing wires, soldering, resistors or any of that, and no need to replace batteries. Here's one i found: http://www.amazon.co.uk/OnceAll-Wir...qid=1417689084&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+sensor+bar

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using it for dolphin and would rather only have one wii u sensor bar.

Can I sync the wii remote, then switch off the controller and the sensor bar remain on?

If not, is there a cheap way to keep a wii u remote running? Are rechargable batteries a good investment?

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently you can just connect a 9v battery to it. not sure how long it will last but seems easy enough.

I've made snes controller sockets pretty easily. an x-acto knife, card stock, hot glue and a little super glue and they hold up pretty good. oh and of course pins to make the connections, I used a couple paper clips.

if you don't want to do that then I guess rechargeable batteries will do. it is still a waste since you aren't using the wii remote at all but whatever works for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)