Wii U - Mario Kart 8

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by KingVamp, Jun 11, 2013.

1. KingVamp
    OP

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States

Link

2. Gabbynaruto

Gabbynaruto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Romania
    Outer Space
    This is probably the game I'm most hyped about... Well, unless you discard X and Bayonetta. Either way, it looks so awesome! I want it now.

3. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    Looks nice. The anti-gravity reminds me of something another person has done already.
    And it looks like they'll be naming the Mario Karts by numbers from now on...didn't know what to expect after the brilliant name 'Mario Kart 7'.

GamerzHell9137 likes this.
  4. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    So no capture card needed? Aww yeah

5. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    Wigan, UK
    Clearly any hopes I had of seeing F-Zero on the U in the next 5 years have gone down the shitter, however that was always a pipe dream ehh....
    Always looking forward to this game the most, and the introduction of 'hovercars', whilst "WTF" on first sight, looks like another great addition! Best game of the Direct for me no question!

6. Gabbynaruto

Gabbynaruto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Romania
    Outer Space
    For some reason, when I saw it's called Mario Kart 8, I instantly thought of Windows 8. I mean, who could blame me, same number, same pattern (windows had names before, now it has numbers, which ironically are 7 and 8, same as Mario Kart), same blue color style... I just hope it won't be as bad as Windows 8. But from the looks so far, that's not gonna happen.

Tonitonichopchop and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  7. celeron53

celeron53 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 27, 2009
    United States
    U.S.A
    I got goosebumps right when I saw the karts hovering upside down. Whew...

8. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    This might actually be a good mario kart if they remove (or at least give the option to turn off) GOD DAMN BLUE SHELLS.

9. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Yeah it'll never be good to your taste. They have agreed to never turn it off sadly, because they want to give the inexperienced a chance to win. DX

10. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    The wall racing looks pretty awesome, I wish that was in MK7. I won't buy a U anytime soon and I really don't see a reason to buy this if you already own MK7. It looks like a solid Mario Kart game though.

11. Triumph627

Triumph627 All sweet & honeycomb

Newcomer
    May 21, 2013
    United States
    The Comatorium
    Besides Zelda Wind Waker HD (I never got a chance to play it on the GameCube, so I'm super excited to play it), this is the game I'm most edited about. I got chills when the kart started hovering. As for the change to numbered titles: eh. But it still looks amazing.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, but this game will actually be fun. I'm getting it once released, mark my words.

13. fossda

fossda GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    Doesn't release till spring 2014 :( Guess I'll be forgetting about it till just before then...

14. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    It looks good, i like how they have implemented all the last couple of changes (Bikes,Gliders,Underwater) and i really think the anti-grav idea will make for some interesting track designs! I also saw that some of the better 3DS tracks made the cut, i saw melody motorway and Piranha plant tho and the latter is one of the best tracks on the 3DS so yay for that!

Things i hope for in the new mario kart:

- Blue shell/Bullet bill should be the ONLY 2 items that are "place specific"
    - Green shells should never fade unless they fall off the level or hit something level based. (like a goomba)
    - More than just 8 cups this time, the pattern is getting stale. That or change each cup to have more than 4 tracks.
    - A single player experience that is more like what MKDS had, with bosses and challanges.
    - A new multiplayer idea, last man standing is ok but balloon battle is getting kinda boring now. why not have something like a giant football and 2 goals and you have to drift and shoot the ball with items to score goals. More varied and fun multiplayer options is basically what i want.

15. aur

aur Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2009
    looking forward to this - always a sucker for new Mario Kart :-)

16. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States

It will support all controllers from last game (except gamecube probably.) If that means classic controller, then I'll have to pick up a gamecube adapter.

17. aur

aur Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2009
    interesting from the vid:
    • mobius (strip) loop course
    • hosting tournaments:
      • custom rules (blue shell restrictions perhaps??)
      • 12 kart matches - local (?) and internet
      • highlight reels & replay sharing

18. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Custom rules wont be what we think, they said the same about 3DS and look how that turned out.

If they really wanna make it custom then they should have a vote for it, much like they do for tracks like vote for "all items", "no blue shell" "shells only" "banana's only"

19. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    I saw some Piranha Plant Slide action.....anyone else notice any existing tracks in the videos? We should have a list.

If they want this to be a culmination of the series how cool would it be to have every single Mario Kart Track in the game in some form

20. KingVamp
    OP

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Wouldn't there be too many items for that?