Wii U Linux

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by pwsincd, Feb 3, 2018.

1. KitsumiTheFox

KitsumiTheFox Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    @CompuCat Yeah, I don't have a PPC machine, so I had to improvise.

2. ry755

ry755 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    I've been trying to USB tether my Android phone, but every time I enable tethering it just turns off again instantly. Maybe that's because I'm running a custom ROM and usb tethering is just broken in that build.

Anyways, has anyone gotten Bluetooth tethering to work? I don't have a USB to Ethernet adapter, so Bluetooth is pretty much my only option for now. I can't seem to find anything online about Bluetooth tethering from the terminal that actually works.

3. KitsumiTheFox

KitsumiTheFox Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    I couldn't get android tethering working either, but if you'd like, I can try to figure it out. I'm always up for a challenge.

4. ry755

ry755 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    Sure, that'd be great! :)

5. Loller06

Loller06 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    Italy
    I can use finely usb tethering, just remember that when you enabled it you have to be connected with a USB cable to the Wii U and type "dhclient usb0"

lordelan likes this.
  6. KitsumiTheFox

KitsumiTheFox Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    This never worked for me :/

7. ry755

ry755 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    What happens when you try to enable tethering? Does it just get disabled immediately after being enabled? That's what mine does.

It could also be my USB hub. I'm not using a dedicated hub, I'm using the one built into my Apple keyboard. Could that be why it's not working? Linux shows dmesg messages when I plug it in so I know my phone is at least being detected.

8. Loller06

Loller06 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    Italy
    I would try to use a dedicated hub, maybe it works better, and also I use too a custom rom but usb tethering works fine, I downloaded like 6 times xorg with it

9. KitsumiTheFox

KitsumiTheFox Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, from what I've heard, the apple keyboard USB ports kinda suck at power delivery and also data transfer.

But if you have 10$, I would highly suggest picking up the USB Ethernet connector on Amazon

Last edited by KitsumiTheFox, May 17, 2018 at 7:50 AM
  10. Loller06

Loller06 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    Italy
    That would be the problem, also great tutorial the yesterday one, I tried to follow it for Gentoo, my PC almost exploded when I ran qemu, and I'm on Debian!

11. ry755

ry755 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    I don't have a dedicated hub though. :/ I'll probably order one tomorrow.

12. KitsumiTheFox

KitsumiTheFox Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    Oh thanks, mine seems to have an issue where I need to remount the root as RW on boot. I think I fixed it in the guide though...

Last edited by KitsumiTheFox, May 17, 2018 at 7:58 AM
  13. Loller06

Loller06 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    Italy
    Also can I ask to remove the lxde part? Me and CompuCat are working on a tutorial and I can confirm it's not that easy, if you install this way you will probably end in a image brick

14. KitsumiTheFox

KitsumiTheFox Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2016
    United States
    It actually works fine, but I removed it, since you guys are working on a guide. I feel like you probably also have a little more experience, lol.

15. CompuCat

CompuCat Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2017
    United States
    Yeah, anytime you're setting up a rootfs you need to remount the rootfs as rw.

Also, @KitsumiTheFox: Loller's claims about a brick aren't necessarily true. I'm still running tests to determine if this will brick on a proper installation or not.

Bluetooth tethering is notoriously unreliable; afaik Quark is the only one who's been able to get it reliably working. USB-Ethernet is a lot more stable, even with this random ancient adapter I own that's from the early 2000s or something.

lordelan likes this.
  16. bobdamnit

bobdamnit I rule the Mushroom Kingdom

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Gunstorm and lordelan like this.
  17. Loller06

Loller06 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    Italy
    Also i suggest to change the command from df -h to lsblk because i tried df -h and it actually didn't listed me all the drives connected to the pc

18. derYASIN

derYASIN Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2017
    Germany
    Dumb question, but with linux on WiiU you literally run kodi on it, or?

19. CompuCat

CompuCat Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2017
    United States
    @Loller06: df displays mounted disks only, not all disks in the system.

@derYASIN: I wish. We can't run Kodi yet, as we don't have a proper GPU driver. Also, not sure if Kodi is compatible with PowerPC.

20. bobdamnit

bobdamnit I rule the Mushroom Kingdom

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Kodi dropped PowerPC support in version 15.1, so nope.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice