Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Depending on how large you scale the image and how much you wiggle the cursor around, I've seen the FPS dip to about 21 running Super Mario Bros.
It gains frames through entropy? That's always fun. Anyway, this project continues to be interesting. I'm waiting for the day that I can turn my Wii U into an Openbox thin client with Wayland.

Last edited by Joom,

CompuCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Score! Video playback is technically working with smplayer, an mpv frontend. (Took forever to compile, but at least it did, unlike VLC.) It's quite slow (thanks, fbdev), but it works. I haven't tested the precompiled version, but I'm assuming it doesn't work, as it likely uses AltiVec instructions. So far I've tested 480p MPEG-2 software decoding.

EDIT: holy cow, 1080p h.264 is monumentally slow, but it works! (Better than I expected, honestly.)

EDIT 2: Testing with the null backend confirms that the Wii U definitely has enough horsepower to decode 480p MPEG-2 at full speed (it's only using about half of the available CPU time); fbdev is definitely the bottleneck here.

Last edited by CompuCat,

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
Nope. WINE requires that the base system still have an x86 processor; the Wii U is based off of a PowerPC chip.
Wine doesn't require a x86 processor, it just needs the proper processor to run the programs. Wine was ported to Android and can run Windows ARM programs.
The reason Wine doesn't support PPC is because there's no PPC build of Windows.
Also someone wrote a tutorial for getting Wine running on PPC actually. It makes use of qemu.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1382096

Gunstorm

xD
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey all, here's a quick update on the state of things. I haven't been able to work much on linux-wiiu due to real life (and that's likely true for the other devs too), but Quark and I have been working on a better solution for installing Debian than finagling around with tarballs and images and all that *fun* stuff. I'm currently cleaning up the Linux side of things right now (chroot is a royal pain), and Quark's been off bug hunting in linux-loader to implement support for a few bootloader features necessary for a clean installer. (They're not features you'll see on the surface, so don't worry if nothing seems to look different.)

@depaul: regarding emulators, go ahead! I've actually been thinking about trying a few myself. GCC is throwing internal compiler errors everywhere, though, so compiling anything non-trivial from scratch is mildly annoying at best and awful at worst. Anything needing a recompiler is probably a no-go unless someone's written one for PPC, so PSX and N64 are probably out for now. You could give NES/SNES a shot...

@Joom: sadly no wireless yet. rw's the one mainly working on this; I'm not in the loop about how it's going right now. Use a USB-Ethernet adapter for now.

Hi My friends, the project stills alive?

the last activity here is about a month ago :(
https://gitlab.com/linux-wiiu/linux-wiiu/activity

here too :( https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/...iiu_a_port_of_linux_4116_to_the_wii/?sort=new

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What am I missing. It's hanging on manufacturer: broadcom Corp. Keep in mind I can barely read the tv screen since I don't have an extra HDMI cable here so it's at 480i.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Gunstorm
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Switch Linux will probably kill it now
Here's a snippet from the catalog from my local EB games:
20180422_094806-01-01.jpeg

I'm a broke high school student. You guys have nothing to worry about there ;)

Honestly, the reason nothing's happened for a while is kinda weird and personal. School got crazy for a week and a half, and I decided that whenever I wanted to program during that time I'd go do something else instead (the idea was to keep the focus on school). That's all finished now, but I'm having trouble getting back into it. I trained myself too well, apparently.

I do intend to keep this going though. Sorry for making it seem otherwise.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's a snippet from the catalog from my local EB games:
20180422_094806-01-01.jpeg

I'm a broke high school student. You guys have nothing to worry about there ;)

Honestly, the reason nothing's happened for a while is kinda weird and personal. School got crazy for a week and a half, and I decided that whenever I wanted to program during that time I'd go do something else instead (the idea was to keep the focus on school). That's all finished now, but I'm having trouble getting back into it. I trained myself too well, apparently.

I do intend to keep this going though. Sorry for making it seem otherwise.

:rofl: i tried so hard to scroll over to the DS side of that pick

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: