Wii U Homebrew online

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by petethepug, May 6, 2017.

1. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    At the moment, are any people working on an alternative online unit for the Wii U? (Like if Nintendo shuts of their online for the Wii U at one point.)

I'm thinking about buying one because people are starting to make stuff like custom mods for super smash bros brawl and stuff for Mario Kart 8 (Its being hinted in some places that progress is being made.) Oh and also with the new set of tools on there, I might as well since I have nothing to lose :D

2. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    If they shutdown this one then they will have to redo eShop, Nintendo websites, Services using NNID...
    Not worth it. Wii U is probably never going to have shutdown online unless Nintendo kills NNID [3DS, Wii U] which is not going to happen due to endless 3DS Support.

3. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    From what I hear, the SSL-type setup the Wii U uses is pretty solid, making it a right pain to MiTM the networking stuff and start to reverse-engineer it in the traditional manner.
    There are a few things about the Wii U's architecture which may make it easier to do custom multiplayer without actually reverse-engineering it (patch networking RPLs?) Nothing on that front yet though, that's a last resort.

Also iirc Sm4sh (and maybe MK8) already have mods out? I don't follow that part of the scene so I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them around.

4. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Cosmetical mods mostly. Nothing too fancy tbh.

5. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Alright, I was just curious.

Since Nintendo is linking NNID's to all services (Wii U, 3DS, and Nintendo Switch.) It makes me believe that the Wii U, and 3DS will have payed online along with the Nintendo Switch

And its been unconfirmed if Nintendo would be shutting down the services (The only theory I have is that the Wii U would shutdown and 3DS once payed online comes, but no one really knows at the moment.)

Since NNID's (Nintendo network ID's) are managed on multiple devices like the 3DS, Wii U, and Switch. It makes me confused how they are going to execute all functionally of the Wii U, 3DS, and Switch for online play and for various other services they have.

As in matter of fact, they have support with phone apps now to so I think its odd that they would / would not, shut down their services.

6. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    I don't think you need Play Station Plus to play online on the PS3 so Wii U and 3DS will most likely be fine for a couple of years. And the only reason the Wii and DS online services were shut down it was because Gamespy hosted Nintendo servers for online gaming.

7. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Nope. That will not happen for some simple reasons. The 3DS and Wii U will have online multiplayer for a long time, folk. First of all Nintendo already confirmed on their website that paid online-multiplayer on the Switch will not affect the free online-multiplayer on the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS. The reason why the online-multiplayer on the Wii was discontinued is because GameSpy wanted to shutdown their servers (and they hosted the multiplayer servers). Nintendo saw absolutely no profit in searching a new host in 2014 for a 2006 console/2008 game, so the easiest answer for them was to discontinue the multiplayer and that's it. Since the 3DS Era, Nintendo decided to host the servers by their own.
    So if Nintendo would shutdown the 3DS servers, it would be a pretty huge dick move.

Last edited by MeAndHax, May 6, 2017
  8. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Can you link me to that website if you still have it, or can find it. Just for the sake of this thread I'd like to leave it in here in case someone else is asking the same question on a search engine.

And sorry about being all worried. I was concerned that Nintendo had a habit with shutting down their services periodically after every new console, glad to know they don't do that.
    If that's the case with the Wii U and 3DS I'm going to end up keeping the two (Well one since I only have a 3DS.) I think its great that they want to focus on all three systems with online content for players who like to play games like Mario Kart Splatoon or what not.

Your also correct about that

Last edited by petethepug, May 6, 2017
  9. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

"This service is only for Nintendo Switch. It does not affect Wii U or Nintendo 3DS systems or online play."

10. Zarklord

Zarklord GBAtemp Regular

May 13, 2016
    United States
    i think all of you are forgetting something gameservers != eshop nnid servers and such

aplumafreak500 likes this.