Homebrew Wii U Homebrew Beginner Questions (as of Oct. 2018)

jpmcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all of the different guides out there and changes of procedure that have resulted from updates/discontinuing of software/etc I'd just like to get some definitive answers on some general things before going any further with learning how to do this (all for the latest software version and current state of everything).

1. First off, what is a 32 gb sd card that I can use with this? I had bought a 64 gb card for this but I found my vWii couldn't read it and read that it can't do cards that large, I had wanted to just have one card that can be used with both the Wii U and vWii.

2. If I understand correctly I will need to have a certain DS game from a list installed in order to do this. One thing I am confused about though, once this has served its purpose I will be able to redownload the DS game from the eShop again right? It won't be permanently inaccessible will it?

3. So my memory of the terminology is fuzzy so excuse me, but iirc to be able to have the Wii U be able to start up with the homebrew already running I'd need to do the coldboot haxchii thing right? And so I remember seeing in a video that it makes the Wii U open up to a screen that opens up before going to the Wii U menu. Is this absolutely the only way to have the Wii U start up with the homebrew running? Is there anyway to have it power on and go straight to the Wii U menu?
•On that note I've seen like a million different names for software for homebrewing the Wii U, is Haxchi the one way or were there others? I was wanting to be able to start the Wii U with the homebrew already accessible.

4. In general, can anyone point me in a direction of any guides or videos that definitively explain everything else I'd need to know about this in the most current and up to date way? There was the software update last year and I've read things about that USB Helper being discontinued (as of now I have no knowledge of any of its functions or anything at all), I'd just like to know what is best to do as of the present date.

Thank you, sorry for these very entry level questions, if anyone could indulge me I would sincerely appreciate it.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. I recommend a sandisk, that's a very reliable brand
2. The game will be inaccessible. However some pirate sites (can't help you here) have downloads of the game with a changed title id so you can play it, or you can get the same game from a different region. I recommend Brain Age it's the cheapest and you can get Dr Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training the Europe version
3. only way, it only takes a few seconds. Don't be self entitled you're getting games free
4. The software updates made no difference. Wii U USB Helper was discontinued, however there is a reddit workaround here https://www.reddit.com/r/CemuPiracy/comments/8gj8z8/workaround_download_and_run_wii_u_usb_helper/ (you can also get Brain Age here just change region to Euro)

jpmcruiser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Thanks
2. Alright, and what do you mean by a changed title id?
3. That sucks it's incomplete like this but I can live with that, not really a big deal.
4. What actually is USB Helper's function, what is it exactly?

Can anyone direct me to a foolproof guide that spells everything out like I'm 5?

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly what I said. They changed the title id so it can work even though you have the same game as your Haxchi. Nothing more to read into it so stop reading into it too much. Otherwise you can't use the same game as your Haxchi game.

USB Helper's function is To download games.

No

Most of this isn't complicated but the only way you're going to learn it is to try it yourself not by sitting on gbatemp and asking for guides for 5 year olds. Then while trying it if you get stuck somewhere you ask for help. But you're not going to learn it without trying it.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps