Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

oPolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hykem wouldn't claim his work as an IOSU exploit if that's the case.

I doubt it uses anything from the eShop.

You often need to have a userspace exploit as stepping stone to a kernel (or IOSU) exploit. That is probably the case here too. But yep, I do not see why it should need something from the eShop, when we have the webbrowser and known vulnerabilities in it. Smea that developed ninjhax has made a nice blogpost describing what steps he needed to hack the 3DS - it used 4 vulnerabilities from different applications (can be seen here http://smealum.net/)

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You often need to have a userspace exploit as stepping stone to a kernel (or IOSU) exploit. That is probably the case here too. But yep, I do not see why it should need something from the eShop, when we have the webbrowser and known vulnerabilities in it. Smea that developed ninjhax has made a nice blogpost describing what steps he needed to hack the 3DS - it used 4 vulnerabilities from different applications (can be seen here http://smealum.net/)
Hykem already mentioned how we'll get IOSU access here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/page-676#post-5871341

And here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/page-676#post-5871362

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
One thing I hope of this, is that the exploit once done (initiated) that it's similar to the original Wii ios by modifying the ios to a cios and it's permanently done.

This is why I have not bothered with the current kernel exploit, due to having to run it each time you want to do something and running a modified one for loadiine. One ISOU exploit that does it all, which I don't think is too much to want at some point.

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing I hope of this, is that the exploit once done (initiated) that it's similar to the original Wii ios by modifying the ios to a cios and it's permanently done.

This is why I have not bothered with the current kernel exploit, due to having to run it each time you want to do something and running a modified one for loadiine. One ISOU exploit that does it all, which I don't think is too much to want at some point.
I highly doubt you are going to get anything permanent in the sense of original Wii. It has something to do with boot1 being secure....

What you could get is so.ething lime the 3ds running emunand and having autoboot setup via an exploit.... Menuhax or something similar would be great on Wii along with emunand.

With the quick start feature, you might even be able to use to start any app like the browser which I turn autoloads emunand

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think we'll see any Wii-style low-level hacks for some time, maybe a high level like 'themehax'; on the other hand you don't need it if you can run a webserver locally on your network and start the exploit chain (user -> kernel > iosu, then emunand) that way. With sysnand having no internet access and emunand being properly protected against updates, there shouldn't be any issues anymore. IF the WiiU's crypto security is at 3DS level (not n3DS), there shouldn't be any issues keeping emunand updated to the latest versions.

Edit: ninja'd

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never mind I take back what I said about regretting buying that WIFI SD card. I'm totally forgetting that when IOSU access is possible, no homebrew, backup loaders, etc will be available yet. So looks like I'll still be a 5.3.2 Loadiine user for another long while. So even if Hykem doesn't deliver this ON Christmas, it won't hurt to wait after Christmas. It's the same as finally clearing out land, where it's ready to have houses and a whole community built on it but it hasn't started construction yet. When it comes, you'll still have to wait for the house you bought to be built (Actually went through that once as a kid, lived with my Grandma til the house was ready. hated those times!)

Still very excited for IOSU, I like following the Wii U scene ever since I got into it. As you might know, I lurk this forum a lot more than I did back on the 3DS section. I like to see things grow over time. If only we can find developers now, and hand them the IOSU exploit before anyone else just so they can start on some ideas earlier on. I'm just babbling to myself here though :P

If I can make homebrew myself, I'd definitely be enthusiastic enough to do it. But sadly I can't even simply compile things on github xD
I'll just be here as someone who can test out new homebrew and whatnot, though we got a lot of users willing to do that any day~

Last edited by MattKimura,

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does UNEK sound like a good name for a certain project?
Nah, I always hated that name. Maybe Missingno.

Seriously though, how about something original, like maybe, emutrition. Just a thought. Lol. On another note, can you add a make file for wup installer. That was a pain in the ass to figure out.

Last edited by EclipseSin,
Reactions: CosmoCortney

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this in his official thread, but I let it here in case it gets pushed down again, so users on lower fw might see it while it's buried... Will also copy to loadiine thread for wider coverage. Thanks for everything guys, keep up the good work, and don't hesitate to PM or Skype me if you need anything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys,

i have updated the exploit page at exploit.wiiubrew.net to include the modified kernel (Loadiine Kernel, no multi kernel for now), pyGecko (Loadiine), and Loadiine (v3.0) for 4.1.0 and 5.0.0. Let me know if you have any problems.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU