XP
Country
United States

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things weren't looking good for E3 but now it seems possible again (if everything goes well)
I hope you guys are filming a documentary about this. Seems like a lot of antics in the background. Enough to have people tune in and watch you guys get stuck at things then get out of it. With a lot of scenes of driving through neighborhoods and voiceovers about "webkit bugs"

kind of like a bike builder show, where they need to build a bike by some stupid date and a bunch of stuff goes wrong and Mikey burns the shop dwn while Pauls are yeling at each other. I imagine a lot of that stuff goes on.

Hykem

Trophies
XP
Country
So, let me clear up the current status on the Wii U work so far.
We've been focusing on exploiting firmware 5.3.2, but the bug we have been looking into has proven to be quite tricky to exploit.
Regardless, I'm working on a full re-write of said exploit since it's original target is very different from the Wii U. As we stated several times, exploiting 5.3.2 is simply a matter of time, but it's hard to predict when we can finally see some results due to the nature of the bug and the fact that WebKit debugging takes a lot of time.

Now, regarding the IOSU, I've been tackling firmware 3.0.1 for a while. It's taking longer than expected because I based my assumptions on two false statements:
1 - comex's original exploit was leaked and uses CVE-2012-3748 -> Not true. This is not comex's exploit. Although the bug is present in firmware versions lower than 4.0.0, a separate condition exists that prevents it from working. WebKit version 534.52 didn't make use of optimized shift/unshift operations, so, while the race condition still exists, we can't modify the array and overwrite the length parameter without triggering a memmove operation that blows everything up.
2 - Porting the existing use-after-free bug is trivial -> Also false, the libraries suffered major changes in firmware 4.0.0. Previous firmware versions have a very different heap layout and without a devkit on firmware 3.x it's really though to re-calculate the addresses used by the exploit.

Now the good news, I finally managed to run code on firmware 3.0.1. It required combining the previous user-after-free as planned and a totally different exploit (CVE-2012-3683). The results are not optimal, but it works.
I finally managed to figure out where the coreinit library is located in memory with some brute-forcing and got execution to jump into OSFatal.

I apologize for the delay, but development will, hopefully, speed up now.

Antonio Ricardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
We've been focusing on exploiting firmware 5.3.2, but the bug we have been looking into has proven to be quite tricky to exploit.
Regardless, I'm working on a full re-write of said exploit since it's original target is very different from the Wii U. As we stated several times, exploiting 5.3.2 is simply a matter of time, but it's hard to predict when we can finally see some results due to the nature of the bug and the fact that WebKit debugging takes a lot of time.

Now, regarding the IOSU, I've been tackling firmware 3.0.1 for a while. It's taking longer than expected because I based my assumptions on two false statements:
1 - comex's original exploit was leaked and uses CVE-2012-3748 -> Not true. This is not comex's exploit. Although the bug is present in firmware versions lower than 4.0.0, a separate condition exists that prevents it from working. WebKit version 534.52 didn't make use of optimized shift/unshift operations, so, while the race condition still exists, we can't modify the array and overwrite the length parameter without triggering a memmove operation that blows everything up.
2 - Porting the existing use-after-free bug is trivial -> Also false, the libraries suffered major changes in firmware 4.0.0. Previous firmware versions have a very different heap layout and without a devkit on firmware 3.x it's really though to re-calculate the addresses used by the exploit.

Now the good news, I finally managed to run code on firmware 3.0.1. It required combining the previous user-after-free as planned and a totally different exploit (CVE-2012-3683). The results are not optimal, but it works.
I finally managed to figure out where the coreinit library is located in memory with some brute-forcing and got execution to jump into OSFatal.

Inadvertently press or stipulate a date but you think by your experience that untill the end of the year IOSU will be ready? I think after IOSU ready wiiu scene will more fast or im wrong?

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(...)the libraries suffered major changes in firmware 4.0.0. Previous firmware versions have a very different heap layout and without a devkit on firmware 3.x it's really though to re-calculate the addresses used by the exploit.
(...)

Are you saying that this will also work on 3.1.0 (provided the coreinit addresses are known) but 4.x+ will take seriously more work? Am I glad I never updated past 3.1.0 despite being told a hundred times that I should!

Reactions: jammybudga777

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you saying that this will also work on 3.1.0 (provided the coreinit addresses are known) but 4.x+ will take seriously more work? Am I glad I never updated past 3.1.0 despite being told a hundred times that I should!

while im kicking myself for listening to other's........ im on the latest firmware!!!

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, what just happened?

Wait, what? So now there's no exploit needing to be "polished"?
@NWPlayer123 - So which one is it? Do you or do you not have an exploit?

Edit: Post is quotable, done editing!

Reactions: ShinkoNet

ma777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If I were you I wouldn't worry about anything above 3.0.1. I'd get as deep into the system as possible. That's how I always coded. Start with something easy that you understand and modify until the more difficult aspects begin to make sense. Get 3.0.1 execution running well, release, and let others explore the system as well. I'd love to help. The time between work and going out drinking is pretty boring TBH.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
well hopefully its just gonna be a longer wait. i new from day 1 of being told to update not to do it but after about 2 months of everyone bitching saying i should listen and update!!!! i gave in

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn